1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald hires Ron Borges

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/general/view/2008_09_24_Ron_Borges_is_back:_Veteran_columnist_joins_Herald/srvc=sports&position=also

I thought he was working for some radio station's Web site.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He was working for WEEI's web site:

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Great hire for them.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

nice someone is being hired.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

awesome. good for ron. ;D ;D ;D

6. ron gives them credibility. a lot. though it assures that the herald will not be read in the house of belichick.

he was freelancing for weei.com, i think, and not full-time.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh I'm pretty sure that was already the case.

8. you're right, byh, but this just puts the nail in the coffin in that regard.

that's why i am surprised that they didn't hire someone from the outside who had some pro beat experience, to try and rebuild those relationships. if logic applies, i'd say money was an issue, and borges won't have to worry about that, since he still can appear on weei and other media outlets and supplement his income that way.

9. maberger

maberger Member

and this doesnt matter any more?

Globe suspends sportswriter for plagiarism

March 5, 07 07:54 PM
    By Michael Paulson, Globe Staff

The Boston Globe today suspended without pay for two months a veteran sports reporter, Ron Borges, after allegations that he had plagiarized a portion of a football column from another sportswriter.

The Globe’s editor, Martin Baron, said Borges had included in his ‘‘Football notes’’ column last Sunday material written by a reporter for the News Tribune of Tacoma, Wash.

"‘The Globe does not tolerate plagiarism,"’ Baron said in a statement. "Extensive passages written by the Tacoma reporter were used verbatim in the column by Borges, and that is prohibited."

10. if i were the herald folks, i'd be willing to look aside at just one transgression. borges does have a good track record on the beat, albeit in recent years he's pissed off a lot of folks in foxborough.

besides, this is the same paper that *did* hire mike barnicle a few years back. he makes borges' hanky-panky look minor by comparison.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/38382/

Draft saved Draft deleted