1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald cuts a'comin...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 24, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It could be because it's either a.) the end of the quarter or b.) the end of a fiscal year,

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or C.) we're all fucked.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Forgot that option, sorry. :)

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Or D.) this move has been in the works for quite some time, and hasn't been a well-kept secret. The Herald building was already sold and will be redeveloped once the newsroom finds a new home, and the 50-year-old presses will be scrapped.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Love that scene in "The Wire" where the old cop gets caught as he's about to throw himself down the stairs for a disability gig.

If all else fails, rip the crap out of some superstar athlete, then goad him into punching your lights out. Big settlement before it even gets to court.

6. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

If the business comes to an end, where will all the local advertisers advertise to local consumers? Radio?
    Where will people and even bloggers get all the information and news they so crave? From team Web sites and other PR liars?
    Or is the public so dumbed down these days that they don't know the difference between PR lies and a probing news story?

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately I just graduated a little over a month ago and I didn't listen to my J-school professors when they told me the situation might get dire in a hurry.

I didn't realize what "a hurry" really meant. Everything going on right now has me so scared shitless that I might not have a job or a career - and dammit, it's a job that I really love to do - within five years. And, of course, my "minor" is in history...and that's really going to help me a lot. I'm just hoping that my mother doesn't lose the pool when I told her to bet with the family that I was never going back to school (because I really really really don't want to have to go back and learn something different. There's nothing else for me to do. I will be waiting tables for a long time.)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted