1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald cuts a'comin...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 24, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/06/24/herald_announces_layoffs/

130-160 employees targeted, I believe via buyout first and layoff next (if need be).

Jeebus Cripes. Discuss.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cripes is right. How long ago did the Herald do a round of buyouts? It hasn't been that long, has it?

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

This has been a real bad week or so for the newspaper biz.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How much does anyone want to bet this is how they get rid of Tomase?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i cry for youngsters just startin' out in this biz. :'( :'( :'(

heck, i cry for those not-so-young in the biz. :'( :'( :'(

mostly, in truth, i weep and fear for geezers such as myself, clinging on 'cause we're not near retirement age yet have loved this biz for soooo long. when/if the bell tolls for me, i haven't a clue where i'd turn
    to maintain my family's lifestyle. being in your 50s and physically limited ain't a good place to be. you bet i'm a scared spitless. :'( :'( :'(

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

MAKE IT STOP! AAARGGH!

7. Mizzougrad96

The youngsters can turn back. If they're smart, they will...

I agree, those in their 50s are the worst off. It's hard to start a new career in your 50s. You're too young to retire and too old to start over.

My best advice would be to fall down the stairs at work and sue the shit out of your paper. People have suggested it at my paper more than a few times. Also, if you enter rehab, they can't fire you.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It was different when I read about the cuts and it didn't affect my friends or anyone I know. Now, it's so much more personal and a lot scarier.
    Good luck to everyone out there, cause nobody knows if this is just the begining or a sign that it's all coming to an end.

9. Mizzougrad96

Unfortunately, I think we all know the end is coming... I'm applying for jobs outside of the business. So are a lot of my co-workers. Some are just hoping to survive and hang on.

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I wish I felt comfortable doing something other than this. Instead, I feel I'm left hoping i survive the bloodshed.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The layoffs will be the printers and other production workers made redundant by the Herald's decision to outsource its printing operations to Dow Jones in Chicopee. I doubt any editorial personnel will bite the dust.
    This time. For those of you unfamiliar with Massachusetts, Chicopee is 90 miles from Boston. This is going to make it a little difficult to get the late edition into the newsstands and vending boxes at the MBTA subway stops by morning rush hour. Basically, the Herald is cutting itself down to a brand name and some, but not many editorial and sales personnel.

12. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Does it matter? Seems like most of the Heralds are given away during afternoon rush hour anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted