1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by German Ethel Merman, Jan 29, 2007.

1. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

The Boston Herald, a newspaper providing the best pro, collegiate and high school sports coverage to New England readers, is seeking a sports copy editor. Candidates will work editing a mix of staff-written and wire stories, writing headlines and also assisting on the compilation and editing of materials for our agate pages. Qualified candidates should have five-plus years of experience on a daily copy desk, including pagination, and should be proficient in Quark Express. Photoshop knowledge a plus. Please send resume and page design samples to Mark Murphy, Deputy Sports Editor, Boston Herald, 1 Herald Square, Boston, MA 02118 or email same to mjmurphy@bostonherald.com

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Paging Mr. Gee. Mr. Michael Gee to the white courtesy keyboard, please....

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pluses: You will work with a bevy of dedicated, talented, nice people.
    Minus: Rent, not buy-up to and including underwear

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One more thing. Like I said, a fine place to work with a questionable long-term future. Long or short term, it's the most expensive place to live in the country. Everything is more expensive here-housing leads the way, but even ice cream costs more.

5. In such an expensive city like Boston, what would the pay likely be? Low 50s? More, less?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Guild scale says 2006 reporter starting salaries was $887.59. Five-year minimum was $1,088.38. Don't know how that'd relate here.

Mr. Gee forgot one thing: If you're gonna work there, make sure your spouse has a nice health insurance plan. Herald employees pay up the wazoo for coverage (last time I checked, it was 75 percent of the costs), and the paper had cut back on traditionally generous (as far as this industry goes) OT shifts that were designed to offset the health insurance costs.

Mr. Gee, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Weekly salary for a copy editor at the Herald is around $1,100. And the health insurance concerns are indeed valid, to the point at which one's wazoo would ache significantly.

8. e4

e4 Member

the company picks up no part of the health care, i believe

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Past union contracts only had covered 1 or 2 percent of health care. That standard dated back to when Rupert "saved" the old Herald-American in the early '80s. In the last one, signed a few years back when Pat Purcell still had some cash, they boosted the employer contribution.

Draft saved Draft deleted