1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald columnist Steve Buckley: "I'm gay."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Boston academic community will be accepting but I doubt it will play well in Charlestown or Southie.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the effect on Buck's audience will be minimal. Those who like his stuff will keep on liking it, and those who don't will keep on not liking it. Now, if he had written this piece when he first came to the Herald in 1995, there might have been a big brouhaha, but that was a long time ago. We've had gay marriage here in 2004, and the next straight person I find who gives a shit will be the first one.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The typical person in those places is the typical Herald reader.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It might be mostly for him, but here's the thing: In his job, he's felt he has had to hide something for years, sneak around, pretend he's something he's not.

Now he doesn't have to do that anymore.

He can now be himself, and that will take a big weight off his shoulders.

If he gets some personal peace out of this column, I think it's worth one 20-inch section of newsprint and cyberspace on one day. And if it gives his readers some perspective, so much the better.

Yeah, a paper is for the readers; but in the grand scheme of life, the paper could spare this space today.

5. I think that's a fair point, SF. But if you look at some of the comments on the column, this definitely goes beyond Buckley. There are plenty of readers who say they don't care, it won't affect them, etc. But there are also readers who thanked him for writing the column because it had an impact on them.

In that regard, and in the sense that it will be one of his most talked about columns, the piece is a lot more valuable than just something for which some space was spared.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Some knew but it's no big deal.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It definitely had value. Crazy to think otherwise. I wrote a column bashing an anti-gay comment from a high schooler many years ago at a smallish paper, and while I got my share of hate mail, I got very touching emails from gay readers of all ages, sharing their experiences living in the closet.

Just because society is loosening up on gay rights, finally, don't think there aren't some really scared kids out there, not to mention adults.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oh, you're exactly right. Point I was making was perhaps the least of the reasons why it mattered, but to others, it was a positive thing. And some, of course, either didn't care or cared, but in the wrong way.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

My first (cynical) thought too. No longer just a middle-aged white sportswriter. He's officially now "the gay" sportswriter" when the Turk comes a'callin'. Hiring/firing editors will blink, compared to others axed. Know that's not why he wrote this, but a happy side effect.

Unfortunately, he'll be TGS, too, to all the talk shows and Internet sites, them that want to "support" and goose ratings by inviting him on, as well as to those that want to just yammer and titter.

The first athlete in a locker room or clubhouse who "goes there" with Buckley in some asinine way is going to get roasted alive by other media closing ranks. Rightly so.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He said that Glenn Ordway was good to him during his decision-making process but I wonder how well this plays with the rest of the crew at 'EEI. DeOssie, Smerlas, and the morning gang aren't the most open-minded sorts.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Most people surely understand the power of PC-fueled lawsuits these days.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Anxiously awaiting Mark2010 and Hondo's thoughts on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted