1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald columnist Steve Buckley: "I'm gay."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Jan 6, 2011.

1. gregcrews

gregcrews Member

I think that in this industry, there is a very good reason to write this column.

To my knowledge, no NFL player (current or former) has admitted to being gay, nor has there been one (again to my knowledge) in MLB or the NHL and the only person to come out in the NBA did it years after he retired. I highly doubt that there has never been a gay professional football player. But because it is seen as a taboo in the NFL, no player has ever dared to come out.

Whether or not it was his intention, I think Buck's column helps to show that gays can and do take interest in professional sports. That it's okay to be gay and be in the sports industry.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not enough that every female sportswriter is presumed to be gay?

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not true. Many are considered to be sluts screwing every guy on the team. [/crossthread]

4. Shockey, as I mentioned earlier and gregcrews alluded to, there will be plenty of sports-loving readers who are gay, in or out of the closet. This column surely has meaning for them. (By the way, Greg, Esera Tualo came out after his time in the NFL.) Also, as greg said, the sports world has not seen folks come out all that much. It's definitely relevant to write about as a social issue.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yes. For a long time.

Signed,
    One of the Other Writers

6. Mizzougrad96

That's what I figured. So, aside from having the web people have to delete "Ah, you're a wicked Faggaht." from every comments section of his stories, what purpose did this column serve?

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

With all due respect ...

So?

rb

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Former players have come out besides Amaechi. NFLer Esera Tuaolo and MLBer Billy Bean are the ones off the top of my head. But you're right, it's few and far between.

9. Mizzougrad96

I seriously doubt that was why he wrote the column.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. It'll likely be the most talked-about column he's written in years.

2. May spark a dialog about gay men in sports.

3. A homophobic pro athlete attacks him and you've got more column fodder.

4. Fulfilled content requirement.

5. Lots more people will automatically like and support him because he's gay.

6. Lots more people will automatically hate and rail against him because he's gay.

7. 5 and 6 above generate interest and aide job security.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not sure I can say that about Boston in general, but Herald readers and WEEI listeners definitely aren't very open-minded.

12. Mizzougrad96

Micky Ward's sisters are headed down to the Herald to kick his ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted