1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald boycotting Northeastern

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Feb 18, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Why not send reporters to the game to throw their notebooks on the ground or fall on the court kicking and screaming. Silly. You miss the story, then complicate matters with a stupid decision such as this.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It's not really a boycott, just a dumb decision to not cover games.

If they're having a great season, the stuff out to be in the paper.

And not getting invited to the presser?

Hell, a good reporter who was not at the presser could probably do an even better job than an average reporter who was.

It's not like they woke up the next day and saw it in the Globe.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This kind of thing happens maybe every 3 years or so somewhere around the country.

One of the Chattanooga papers froze out UT–Chattanooga for a short while once in the 80s (?).

But this is probably the biggest market where I can think of that happening.

And if, indeed, the underpinning is a political judgement on Northeastern's part, then the paper is in the right – and should begin targeting news-side resources to tearing down the Northeastern administration. That's the Chicago Obama way, after all.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I, too, find it humorous that the Northeastern muckety-muck referred to the press conference announcing the demise of the football prorgam as a "success."

My guess is that the sour grapes came about when Boston Globe scooped the Herald on the news 2-3 days earlier. It's the old, "If we get beat on a story, we're going to pretend for a few days that it didn't happen."

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

That's not what happened. Both the Globe and Herald had the story about the football program being eliminated on the same day. The story had already been reported by both outlets before the press conference.

6. KP

KP Active Member

More people cared about the program getting cut than when it was actually around.

And why wait a week to hold a press conference. Nothing like waiting before explaining the decision and having to answer for your decisions.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? Well the press conference happened to be a "fantastic success!"

8. KP

KP Active Member

Does anyone have a link to this supposed print exclusive that Globe had on Nov. 15? I can't seem to find it on a boston.com search. And the players didn't know they were playing the program's last game when they took the field on the 21st. While they knew the ax was a real possibility, they didn't get official word until the evening of Nov. 22. The press release came at midnight Nov. 23. The Globe didn't even staff the final game at URI, one would think if they knew it was the final game they would have.

Something isn't adding up.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

At the last game, no one knew they were getting cut. Our paper covered it and we had coaches from Northeastern talking in the postgame presser about excitement for next season.
    Two days later, the program was cut.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out who looks dumber in this, the Herald or Northeastern. The school should have informed all media of the presser, but someone at the paper should have figured out regardless there was going to be a presser. School should have returned messages to SE to explain what happened, but IMO the paper shouldn't have burned a bridge or two over the incident.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think the school has to notify the paper, but what does the Herald expect? A hand-delivered invite?
    If the school sent an e-mail or left a phone message, that's on the Herald.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is my question in this. Did the school actually notify all local outlets and the Herald just missed the message? I don't get how every outlet except the Herald was there. Seems odd to me.

I think both sides are in the wrong regarding how they have handled it since. The school should have been willing to discuss what happened and the Herald should have just let it go and moved on. Punishing a program by reducing coverage? Over one incident? Can't say I agree with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted