1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald boycotting Northeastern

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://www.huntington-news.com/news/boston-herald-boycotts-huskies-1.2159653

A boycott like this seems silly. Shouldn't the beat writers have known about the presser?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think the NU guy who calls a presser that explaining cutting a football program a "fantastic success" isn't thinking clearly. Like asking Mrs. Lincln how she liked the play.

Also think the Herald people should've known about the thing. But having that said, being in Boston, no body cares about college basketball.

3. nate41

nate41 Member

I'm a Northeastern guy, and Mike Armini, the University's director of communications is an idiot.

Word on the street is the higher ups at NU consider the Herald to be a conservative rag not worthy of their time.

Sports Info. did not handle the football issue, thus why it was butchered by the non-sports people.

While college basketball may not be a big scene in Boston, the Huskies are one of the few regional the teams that has a legit shot at making the NCAA tourney.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh waaahh. Stop whining, Herald, and think of the readers.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. You could make the argument the Herald devotes more of its very limited resources to college basketball than interest warrants. That was true in my day, anyway.

2. Sports editor is a Northeastern alum.

3. Without knowing facts, will side with my newspaper alma mater in this dispute.

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

While the boycott is silly, I doubt many readers have noticed.

Northeastern has no shot at making the NCAA tournament, outside winning the CAAs. Its RPI is in the 60s, and its non-conference wins are Wright State, Utah State, SMU, Kent State and Santa Clara. The Huskies are not even on the radar of Boston sports fans.

That said, the Herald can't dictate the news. And if this was BC, no chance in hell this would fly.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Could that site by any harder to read?

Wah wah to the BH. Sounds like the totality of their complaint is that they weren't involved in a spoon-fed news event. Which means they weren't too good at reporting if they only way they can get the info is to have it spoon-fed to them. If everyone else was there, you'd think someone at the BH would have got wind of it, unless NE told everyone invited not to tell the BH.

8. accguy

accguy Member

For the record, it didn't say the paper wasn't putting information about Northeastern in the paper, they just weren't staffing games.

I don't know that I totally blame them. In a market where there are more stories than resources, wouldn't it make sense to go where people are a bit happier to see you?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

How the hell could they have not known? Even if only by a morning TV newscast mentioning the scheduled press conference. Somehow every other media outlet in Boston knows and nobody at the Herald can even get it third-hard? Really? That seems suspicious.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It is a boycott in the sense that the Herald won't run anything that's not spoon-fed to it.

11. So many quality reporters and editors out there looking for work, and yet, the guy who goes onto a college newspaper site, rants like a fanboi in the comment section, signs his name and title, and then misspells the "sports" in "sports copy editor" is still employed ...

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Neither Boston paper has a writer specifically assigned to cover NU, but I think I know what you meant. The Herald's gripe has more to do with the "print exclusive" mentioned in the article than the press conference.

Draft saved Draft deleted