1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston heavyweights wax on the Marathon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Esquire post was in-the-moment and before the statement that there were no secondary devices.

2. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

But Pierce wasn't the only one reporting this. It seems like the references to "secondary devices" was being widely reported - with, I believe, a senior intelligence official named as the source - until Patrick issued a statement that there were none.

Call me biased, but I'm more likely to believe what sounds like info from a legitimate source than a politician.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have been reading Leigh since the 1970s, and I have read a fair share of Charlie, too.

Leigh's piece was reminiscent of what he wrote back in the day. I liked it a lot, and I liked Charlie, and I liked what Dan Shaugnessy did, too.

Of course, I was reading Shaughnessy when I was reading Montville, back in the day.

Two links -- first Dan, then Leigh's piece on the Bruins game last night.

I am so glad Leigh is writing this stuff again.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/04/15/dan-shaughnessy-patriots-day-sacred-tradition-taken-away/6tiukYoLmflLOb2UvRhIkN/story.html

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/45111008

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Charles was reporting what police were saying at the time as they did crowd control.
    2. I liked Leigh's original piece a lot. It captured how most Bostonians experience the Marathon, miles away from the finish line.

5. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Not to overlook the general excellence of the work, but this passage in Montville's piece struck me as ... well, verging on the possibly apocryphal:

First, what are the odds that the doctor would be passing the writer just as he lit up?

Second, what are the odds that the doctor would 1) be so moved to interrupt his difficult task to accost Montville and 2) be ABLE to jump out of the pack, given the abundance of runners and spectators?

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Leigh lit up a lot?

Things are more strung out there.

The doctor knew where Leigh would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted