1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe's Gordon Edes to Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 22, 2008.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Thank you, and try the roast beef.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yahoo's financial situation is fine, thank you (see first quarter earnings report). If it gets bought by Microsoft, it'll be even finer.
    Gordon won't have the same impact on the community (our loss), but he will have more space, more freedom, no early notes. And, oh yeah, almost surely more money.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

And, he's working for an old friend.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mr. Scott Newman?

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, I'm gonna bite.

Smasher_Sloan, you're suggesting that Dave Morgan was Mr. Scott Newman, the guy who started umpteen pages of problems on another thread a while back?

Or, you just really didn't know who Edes will be working for?

Just wondering, because I don't get the connection to possibly be made between fishwrapper's post and the Mr. Scott Newman-dominated thread.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Anyone hear that this might not be a done deal after all? Edes might have been counting on getting buyout money from Globe, but Globe might have turned him down. Not sure why that would make him stay, if he liked the offer, but it would remove one heck of a "signing bonus" from the deal. Updates?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Let's just say, 150K (+/-) might be worth fighting over.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If that's what the buyout amounted to, sure, that's great money. But Edes wouldn't be the first person who got turned down for a buyout when management sniffed out that he/she already had another job offer. In most case, a newspaper makes buyouts available, see who and how many apply, then OKs its desired number from the jobs or departments it is willing to shrink. I've known folks who were told, "No, you can't have the buyout. We want to keep you and your fine work," even though the person wanted out desperately. Why would a newspaper want to cut someone a huge check just to go work and break stories for someone else?

And anyone who knows me or my posts knows that I am no management toadie. But I think the only way this sort of double-dipping works is if you keep all lips sealed on the job-offer side.

Draft saved Draft deleted