1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Totally Krossed Out, Sep 18, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'll be honest here. Based on the nature of our place, we rely HEAVILY on our writers to get it right. We check, but only things that jump out at you.

We have one interesting resource: We get immediate reader feedback, and unlike print, where your mistakes are sitting on somebody's doorstep and can't be pulled back, we can constantly correct on the fly.

2. Speaking of correcting on the fly

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/archives/2006/09/ive_gotten_a_number_of.php

Was not mentioning the correction a beach of ethics by the Globe?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No. The screwup caused no harm to anyone, therefore there is no need to draw attention to it.

4. Frank - I can see that. Good point (plus Cafardo is supposed to be a good guy).

5. slim72

slim72 Member

Show of hands: How many of us would get fired for 11 fuckups in one graff?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

well, once, I'd hope hardly anybody would, particularly somebody with a good track record.

If a pattern develops, and coaching is done, and it doesn't improve, different story.

7. 11 mistakes in one graf would certainly get me a stern lecture, but I doubt I'd be fired. But it's not something I'd like to chance, so I usually keep my mistakes to 8-9 per graf. Much more manageable number.

8. paris trout

paris trout Member

Besides, if you're going to compare Murphy to guys from the '03 draft, Koufax and Clemente are far better examples.

9. happygirl

happygirl Member

No clue what Nick was thinking, but understand this: He's a real pro. He's generally been thorough. He's readable. Laid back. Real good guy. Heaven knows, we all screw up (and how often doesn't the desk bail us out?), so you gotta feel for him.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That's just such an odd mistake. How can an MLB beat guy be that far off on when players were drafted? Everyone makes mistakes, but this one is very strange.

11. I didn't mean to start this by slamming him. I just thought it was such an odd mistake. I mean, how did he come up with those names? Spellings? Etc;
    By no means should he be fired. People mess up in all professions. Just mistakes in ours get magnified. And big mistakes like that are happening more and more in big publications like the Globe and to a worse extent, SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted