1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 8, 2007.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

While I don't want to demean the APSE newsletter, I can live with a mistake in it by a sports editor who just completed that stretch.

This didn't appear in the Globe. I never see its print edition; it could be as mistake-riddled as you say. I couldn't care less about that while reading this piece.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Congratulations to Joe Sullivan from someone who knew him when. Great job by everyone involved.

3. imasurvivor2007

imasurvivor2007 New Member

I was fortunate enough to have been hired by Joe Sullivan when he was in Asbury Park many moons ago, and this was what he brought to the paper every day back then. We didn't have the resources he has in Boston, but this is exactly the kind of sports editor he was then. When he left for Boston in 1994, it was a sad day for us, but it was certainly the kind of move he deserved.

And you can bet he appreciates every bit of what he has to work with there. Joe is one of the best bosses and best people in the business, period.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'll second that.
    I've seen the guy at APSE meetings critiquing small papers when he could be enjoying happy hour.
    I've met a large number of people in this business and if they were more like Joe, it would be a better one.
    He'll give you the same treatment whether you're from the Podunk Press or the LA Times.
    When I was going through a rough time in my career, he made time for me and gave me some wise counsel.
    Having resources is one thing, knowing how to use them is another, Joe knows the latter.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It would have been nice for him to mention how his paper being owned by the same group that has part ownership or the Sox paid off in all of this.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

What makes you think it did?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Ser

Got proof?

I'd love to know what small shops these are. There aren't as many covering the Sox nowadays, even during the playoffs. There might be 10 papers, maybe 12, that cover the Sox on a regular basis at home: Globe, Herald, ProJo, Hartford, Patriot Ledger, MetroWest, Nashua, Manchester, Metro, maybe one or two others.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

What would you prefer be on the APSE site, Junkie? A column about how the globe had a grammatical error in a cutline three Thursdays ago? When I read things on that site, I want to hear about what went right. Lord knows we hear enough about what's going wrong in our business.

The sports guys up there put together an impressive effort - I hope someday I'm able to be a part of a staff large enough and dedicated enough to attempt similar things.

Don't knock the SE for sharing that success story with colleagues.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I still don't get Junkie's complaint.

Smaller papers couldn't send a second guy? They've been covering it all year with one guy, tops.

Half those papers wouldn't even make room for a sidebar, anyway.

10. Reid Laymance

Reid Laymance New Member

Re: Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Ser

For the record, the Globe was rejected for some of its credential requests in the Division Series (rejected by Red Sox) and in the League Championship and World Series (by MLB).

And it was 10 credentials for writers, most of whom spent large parts of the LCS and WS watching from either the right-field stands or media workroom instead of the main press box, whose seating is determined by BBWA rules.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Globe has the resources to up the newshole.

The other papers to whom you're referring wouldn't open up the kind of space the Globe did.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And with that in mind, I'm wondering when the memo about space cuts will be handed down. :)

Seriously, Boston did an awesome job on these special sections as it did back in 2004. The Globe's gone through some hand-wringing like any other paper, but it still produces kick-ass stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted