1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 8, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Ser

I hope they appreciate how good they have it.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I thought newspapers were dead.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Damn. That's an impressive couple of weeks of work.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure those special sections were deep and had a ton of stories & photos in them.
    A very impressive couple of weeks of work... not sure if I would've wanted to have been a part of all that insanity or not though.

5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Outstanding. It's weeks like that where I'd love to be a part of a staff that has so much responsibility, so little time and has no margin for error. People live for the World Series, the Super Bowl, etc. That seems like it might be my World Series.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Antoine? You mean Al?

7. Ooh, double snap.

8. I saw many of those special sections and they were thorough and extremely well done. But isn't that a typical effort of a large metro like the Globe on such an occasion as a World Series or Super Bowl? It certainly is for the Globe. Sullivan's piece was a cool look inside; I would have like even more "Inside Baseball" stuff from him on the planning aspects, especially the thought processes about what goes on Web vs. print and whose skills are better suited for what. Might be cool to hear all that too.

9. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

That's an unbelievably cheap shot at a fascinating, insightful account of what they did to handle all that, even from the board's resident fact-checker and grammar corrector.

10. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Gotta love when the corrector doesn't have the facts straight. Walker ended up in Minnesota ... after two years in Miami. Al Jefferson was the main piece in the Garnett trade.

From following on their web site, the Globe had great coverage. It would have been awesome to see it in print.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah yeah yeah, I deserve all that and more.

My college-Walker-fangirl-ism got the best of me. Point stands.

And it wasn't a cheap shot at what they did, at all. It was a completely separate point. Calling Garnett a free agent doesn't in any way detract from the unbelievable amount of work they did. Didn't mean to imply that at all.

In fact, reading that made my head spin trying to remember who was where and what was happening. Can't imagine having done that from the inside.

My apologies all around, both for my error and for the misunderstanding.

12. I disagree with it being a cheap shot. The Boston Globe is among the nation's larget and most respected papers, yet that mistake is indicative of errors the paper makes all the time. If it was just one error, it'd be one thing. But it's common there.
    With the resources the Globe has, it should have put out astounding work. And it did. But it doesn't mean you should overlook other mistakes it makes.

Draft saved Draft deleted