1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 8, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the link yet but someone brought me a copy of what they did Monday after the Series - MONDAY - and it was pretty fucking impressive.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A pretty wild week, particularly with the BC writer on the DL for a huge game.

4. VJ

VJ Member

Awesome stuff. Weeks like that are why newspapers will never die.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Ser

Great account of those two weeks. I was impressed at how they lined up stringers for Breeders Cup, college football, etc. That takes some effort when no one would have said boo if they just ran wire.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's pretty fucking incredible. Eighty-five pages for the World Series and 238 for two weeks? That's nuts. I wish I could have seen some papers.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That's just an insane amount of copy to be edited and coverage to be coordinated.
    I wonder how many ads were sold for those World Series sections (just so I know if how many of those pages were just one or two stories due to an over-abundance of ads)

8. VJ

VJ Member

I wonder if any ad managers tried to tell the sports dept. they couldn't have a special section because "they couldn't sell it". ::)

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Antoine Walker must be really sad he ended up in Minnesota in exchange for a free agent.

10. Oooh, snap.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I disagree.

People expect that out of the Globe.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: Boston Globe SE tells APSE what he and his staff went through during the Ser

I can't tell you off the top of my head, but their special sections often are pretty deep.

I counted the number of people whose work I saw in the Monday section (photogs' names, reporters, columnists) ... that's nine. And I'm sure they had at least one editor out there and maybe a photo tech.

Draft saved Draft deleted