1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe Launches Pay Site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sammi

Sammi Member

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder how the NYT website is doing in regards to digital subscriptions? It's the trend now in my area as several papers in my area, all owned by different chains, now have paywalls.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Boston Globe is using a different strategy than the NYT. As opposed to putting up a paywall on boston.com, they're moving most of the Globe content to bostonglobe.com. Boston.com will be for AP and breaking news content.

Interested in folks' thoughts on the bostonglobe.com design, too. I felt like they designed the site for an audience that traditionally reads newspapers (that could be just me, though), and I wonder if that's a good idea.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Simply, I like that they're trying this. Might turn the tide and help save the business -- if not the paper product -- of newspapers.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I believe sports content all remains in the free boston.com.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I think it's a fabulous idea, great design, and good implementation. I hope it works.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Either way, it will help answer the question: How much do readers care about local bylines?

At my shop, the upper management is always complaining about how much AP copy we run because they think readers dislike it. I've always felt readers are ambivalent to bylines.

8. Can't remember the last time I bought a Boston Globe. Used to buy one every day but haven't bothered with them for years. Roughly coincides with them being bought by NYT.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This is from a while ago.

http://nymag.com/news/media/new-york-times-2011-8/

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't get that. Unless they have some market research that says sports fans are less likely to pay to for news -- and I'd think with the success of Rivals, etc., that wouldn't be the case.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm actually quite certain that at least some, if not all, sports content will remain behind the paywall. They specifically hired at least two people just for BostonGlobe.com paid content sports writing.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

An interesting story from Bray (who I've always liked as a tech writer) on how they're developing the site.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2011/09/12/new_site_a_peek_into_globes_technological_evolution/

Draft saved Draft deleted