1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe is not cutting jobs, but wants to cut pay 10%

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nope. I don't think I'll have time for it.

2. There's also no guarantee that gas prices will continue to rise as they have. That's certainly possible, but some economists believe that we could go the opposite direction and return to $1.50 a gallon. The future is not set in stone in all areas. Some are almost certain, but some are not.

3. Because of THIS???

Are you crazy, kid?

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

Seriously. It's one thing if you are the type who doesn't want family. That's fine. But if you aren't planning on starting a family b/c you think you'll be too busy with journalism, I'll tell you now: Journalism, or any other line of work/professional pursuit for that matter, is not worth all that. A family actually loves you back; journalism doesn't.

5. Plus, I don't think that succeeding at journalism requires a monk's existence.

Here's a bio for Dana Priest, who covers the CIA for the Washington Post. Broke the secrent prisons story. Pretty demanding beat, right?

"DANA PRIEST Covers the-intelligence-world and national security issues for The Washington Post.

In 2005, she was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in two categories: in Beat Reporting, for her work covering U.S. intelligence agencies, and in National Reporting, as part of a Post team that abuses at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison. In 2004, her book. The Mission: Waging War and Keeping Peace With America's Military, was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in General Non-Fiction.

Priest has worked at The Post for 19 years. She has written extensively about intelligence lapses before the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001; about the failure of prewar intelligence in Iraq; Washington's covert war against suspected terrorists; and the CIA's secret detention practices. Before moving to the intelligence beat, she was The Post's Pentagon correspondent and then wrote about the military as an investigative reporter. She has traveled widely with Army Special Forces in Asia, Africa and South America and has reported from Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia and Kosovo.

Priest holds a bachelor's degree in political science from the University of California at Santa Cruz. She lives in Washington, D.C., with her husband and two children."

So Dana Priest - and I just picked a random example of a big name on a demanding beat at a national newspaper - has time for a husband and two children while covering the Central Intelligence Agency, but you're going to take a vow of chastity in order to follow East Side High around?

Get over yourself!

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've achieved quite a bit in this field, but I wouldn't have anywhere near the life I have if I thought I would be too busy to have a family. At the end of the day (or long night), it's still just a job; the rest of your life is what matters.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Not to pick on you, NightHawk, but what are you talking about?
    I suppose $1.50 gas is possible, but name one credible economist who's actually suggesting it'll happen in the foreseeable future.

Draft saved Draft deleted