1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe is not cutting jobs, but wants to cut pay 10%

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You want to live in Boston, at 72K?

Not me.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Pay cuts suck regardless. It's not like we're wiping our asses with Benjamins in the business.

3. I'm not sure which point to hammer home more, here: 1. If you think $72K in Boston is a great wage, you must not have been there recently; 2. They've already shoved a good deal of the people who had been making $80K out the door, and replaced them with people earning considerably less.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I agree completely with those who say this is a hit no matter where you stand in the business.

I'm buried in consumer debt, and trying to do a lot better. I make good money -- but a 10 percent cut right now would be a disaster -- the only saving grace would be the existence of more credit. Not a great thing.

As somebody already said -- people have lives built around what they make and can expect to make in the next few years. Cutting that 10 percent is not easily absorbed.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

10 percent is a huge hit regardless... It's still better than a 100 percent hit...

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Exactamundo. Either you want to maintain a job in this business that isn't threatened every other week by more layoffs/buyouts, doesn't require you to do a fallen colleague's duties in addition to yours and doesn't have you walking on eggshells in hopes that the other guy will get whacked instead of you . . . or you don't. A 10 percent cut in exchange for a three-year pledge of no job losses seems better than some folks getting pushed out entirely and others getting overworked and stressed by the next threatened downsizing.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. I sincerely doubt any but a very small minority of Globe editorial staff make $80K a year, unless they all got raises in the three years I've been out of the racket.
    2. I even more sincerely doubt that the Globe would make any sort of written no-layoffs pledge that could be legally enforceable.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Taking a paycut hasn't helped the airline pilots in the long term.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You all know, of course, that management will cut the wage rate, AND they will lay off additional staff.

Whatever "promises" they make to maintain staffing levels will go out the window very shortly.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Let's see, they're gonna ask for a 10 percent pay reduction so they can still make their 20 percent profit margin?? Geez, that seems really fair. "In order for our ownership to continue to afford their yacht upgrades, we are implementing a 10 percent salary cut."

And what would happen if I said: "OK, let's figure in the 6 percent raise I didn't get last year and the 4 percent raise I'm not getting this year. That's 10 percent. Call it even."

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Just one note, and I wish I could say it on more than this thread.

I'm not defending any of the idiotic management practices in the past few years in the business, but I'd be surpirsed if anybody is currently still chasing 20 percent profit margins.

I highly doubt Tribune is; given their debt, they're just trying to make it into late 2009.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if I was.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Basically, SF, you're saying it's no longer about greed ... it's about mismanagement?

Draft saved Draft deleted