1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe Editor"s Memo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by justgladtobehere, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I was on a ship and the Captain started an announcement over the 1MC with "Attention, shipmates..." and one of the crew immediately said "Oh shit, nothing good is coming when he says shipmates. We're fucked."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I suppose having employees working on a mission statement for a future that they may not be around for anyways if they are laid off is a winning strategy.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is the first time I've ever heard gutting the staff through buyouts referred to as "truly heartening that the offer worked this well for this many people."

4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I wonder how many "thought leaders" will be losing their jobs. My guess is zero

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Their only thought, "Fire those other people."

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Really? I've heard that a lot. Depending what it is, a buyout can be a pretty sweet deal. In this case a year's salary and benefits for a 26-year vet.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Exclusive photo from the meeting of the Thought Leaders
    [​IMG]

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In my experience, very few people take buyouts because they want to.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That has not been the experience around me.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Just reinforces the idea that John Henry basically bought the paper to give his grave-robbing wife something to do

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Never said there is a huge pot of money. But the money that is there is going to the top. I can promise the CEOs/VPs/etc arent taking furloughs or pay cuts. Gotta cut another couple of 30K jobs so their 2M salary isn't affected. And this is far from the only business operating that way. The average worker is treated like shit and should just feel lucky to have a job. THIS is why so many Americans are angry.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This no doubt will be an actual job title one of these days at Gannett or tronc.

Draft saved Draft deleted