1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe Editor"s Memo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by justgladtobehere, Aug 5, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Dan Kennedy obtained a memo from Globe editor Brian McGory.

McGrory Memo: How The Globe Will Reinvent Itself; Some Layoffs Possible

Second, the reinvention. It’s gained significant velocity in the past few weeks, and the next couple of months will be vital to the effort. About a month-and-a-half ago, I asked about 20 department heads and other thought leaders in the room to write up vision memos for what the Globe needed to be, followed by a conference room session to pick through the ideas. It was pretty damned great – the creativity, the boldness, and the ambition behind the ideas.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exciting times!

3. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

It's funny that in a profession where we often have to wade through horse plop to get to the truth, those who are in charge of leading companies in said profession constantly feed their employees horse plop and don't expect them to see right through it.

HanSenSE, GBNF and Bronco77 like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Some layoffs possible. Good job, John Henry.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Just once I'd like to see a buzzword-free newsroom memo that cuts right to the chase: "Our goal is to make money -- screw everything else. To accomplish that, we're cutting the print operation to the bone. This means many of you will lose your jobs in the coming weeks."

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is the plan that ends up saving the business.

I'm just sure of it.

HanSenSE and Baron Scicluna like this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Bronco. To be more specific, to make money for the people at the top. Who needs worker bees?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't remember who it was, but there was one that was quite straightforward in, like, the last year or so. The editor pretty much wrote that he wasn't going to make any nice statements with buzzwords because he owed it to those being dumped.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reinvention? Check
    Vision? Check
    Exhilarating/exciting free space? Check
    Nimble? Check
    Streamline? CHECK!

I got Stupid Newsroom Layoff Memo BINGO!

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"Thought leaders"

"Vision memos"

Ugh.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do you really believe this is the case -- that there's a huge pot of money sitting there and the executives are using $100 bills to light their cigars?

I don't care much for the double-speak either. But I would hope by now everyone has realized this isn't about management greed. There's no money there.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Synergy! Paradigm shift!! Win-win!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted