1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe drops paywall for Marathon coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Apr 15, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree.

2. I don't think the Globe was ad-free yesterday afternoon.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Totally unrelated and you know it.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. I read the lead today and then clicked through all the photo galleries and probably a half-dozen more stories. But if they had given me the lead for free and then a button to click to see everything else for 50 cents or a buck, I would have pulled out the debit card. Honest. I had my breakfast and for a few minutes was a captive audience.

Like others say, you simply have to train people to pay for this stuff. I still think it can be done, if the quality journalism is there. The Globe right now definitely qualifies.

5. Not too many people outside of Boston will plunk down money to read stories they can get elsewhere. Dropping the paywall for something this big allows the Globe to at least try to earn ad revenue from page views from outside the region, and from readers around the world.

6. playthrough

I'm no ad expert, but the page view revenue can't be that significant -- plus if there are local ads, who cares if I see them in Florida?

As for some of their coverage today, can that be found elsewhere? Maybe some but probably not all. If given the choice at the moment I was interested in reading to pay a quarter or go surfing elsewhere, I still think I'd have dropped the coin. Sooner or later, at the time when the chance to make money is greatest (and, sadly, times like this qualify), papers are going to have to simply resist the temptation to give it away.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Website ad revenue on breaking news, when the specific contracts for maximum exposure can't be drawn up in advance, is rather minimal, unfortunately.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

One of the ancillary benefits of paywalls is that you get more of a record of who's reading the website and can sell that specificity to advertisers. Local advertisers in Boston couldn't care less who's seeing their ad anywhere else.

Also, it still baffles me that anyone uses the Internet in such a way as to actually see advertising.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don't think the price would be the deterrent in some ways if it's a small cost like that. It's the hassle of going to get your wallet if you don't have it on you, getting out your card, putting in all the information. If it's linked to some kind of online wallet system or PayPal or something, it could be a much easier process. Otherwise, it could be a headache that a lot of people would skip.

And if it requires a full subscription to the site for a month, then most people wouldn't pay it.

10. playthrough

Clearly they'd want to have some kind of PayPal/easy pay setup and various pay structures (24-hour access, a week, a month, X number of stories, whatever). I just don't know why this stuff is like rocket science for some news organizations.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This just shows how the higher-ups don't know what they are doing. So there's a huge story and now it's free? Stupid. I know they are probably "selling" their actions as doing the community a service, but it shouldn't be free just because it's a big story. It just shouldn't. In free enterprise America of old, this might have SOLD SOME ONLINE SUBSCRIPTIONS. Newspaper higher-ups you failed on this one.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hurricane and disaster info, free.
    True crime in the streets, pay the man.

Draft saved Draft deleted