1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe at a crossroads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, May 3, 2009.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Michael Gee is Popeye!

Mmmmm, I wonders if Benjamin Frankling knew George Washlincoln ... Well, blow me down! Ark-ark-ark-ark!!!!

2. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Lifetime guarantees? Am I the only one that finds it absurd that those contracts even exist?

Cant really blame the Times for trying to get rid of those...

3. Ben There

Ben There Guest

A former Guild president explained how the guarantees came into being in a letter on Romenesko a couple weeks ago.

http://www.poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13905

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

How embarrasskin.

5. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

thanks, but that doesnt really explain the nature of the 'guarantees.' In the letter, he said they can still be terminated for just cause, whatever the hell that means, so maybe it isnt a guarantee at all, which leads me to wonder what the true nature of the 'guarantee' is.

I still think it's kind of ridiculous that there is any guarantee at all. I dont know of any other industry or company that has something like that and it seems a little ridiculous to me that someone would think they deserve something like that.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Forty-one posts and no one from hillbillyhickSportsJournalists.com has chimed in to say "That would be awesome." I guess that's progress.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I'm not sure it's really a matter of "deserve" so much as "I have it now, what are you going to give me to give it up?"
    That's what negotiation is all about, right?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Newsie job guarantees are as old as the unions themselves and the result of previous negotiations. We had a couple at my ex-shop.

9. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Oh definitely. I can't blame someone at the Globe for not wanting to give something like that up. But so many times in negotiations, I feel like the the big giant company is being unreasonable. In this case, I can't blame the Times for trying to get rid of these things.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The Supreme Court will be next in line.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I'd like to pose a question:

On the assumption that you had access to hundreds of millions of dollars of venture capital, how much would you offer to pay NYT to purchase the Boston Globe as it exists now with its assets and its liabilities and all of the contracts that it has in place?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Current valuation is well under $100 million. Well under. If you thought you had the answer for monetizing the Internet, it's a very cheap price for a big delivery platform.

Draft saved Draft deleted