1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe at a crossroads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, May 3, 2009.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Didn't want this to get lumped in with my Howie Carr thread... but according to the Herald, the Globe may be shut down if tonight's union deadline isn't reached.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/news/messenger/

Hoping something gets worked out....

2. From the WaPost:

"A Globe shutdown would leave the city with only one daily newspaper, the tabloid Boston Herald, which has just 10 news reporters and is battling its own financial difficulties."

My gosh.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

As per 2 a.m. AP story, talks are continuing well past the midnight deadline.
    That's good.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No way this happens, right? I mean....something HAS to get done.

Damn.

5. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Just moved:

BC-US--APNewsAlert,0017 

BOSTON (AP) — Big Boston Globe union, management finish all-night negotiation with no deal, plan more talks.

6. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

BC-US--Boston Globe Future, 2nd Ld,0126 
    URGENT 
    Large Globe union, management suspend negotiations 
    Eds: APNewsNow. UPDATES with negotiations suspended temporarily. Will be led. Moving on general news and financial services.
    BOSTON (AP) — The Boston Globe’s largest workers union and the newspaper have finished all-night contract-concession talks without a deal, but will go back to the bargaining table.
    Cosmo Macero, a spokesman for the Newspaper Guild, says the union and management stopped negotiating at about 8 a.m. and “should resume in the next day or so.”
    He did not have additional information.
    Two other unions representing some Globe workers reached tentative agreements on concessions with management earlier Monday morning. The mailers union agreed $5 million in concessions while the delivery drivers agreed to about $2.5 million in concessions.
    The Globe’s owner, The New York Times Co., has threatened to close the newspaper unless the unions agreed to $20 million in cuts.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does anyone really think for a minute that The Boston Globe will shut down.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

During this round of negotiations?

No.

Eventually? Absolutely.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What happens at the Herald if they shutter the Globe? Is there any way the Herald can crank back up again? Is there a JOA?

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

According to this story, NY Times Co. has given the required 60 days notice that they plan to shut down the Globe. Will this negotiation tactic do the trick?

http://www.newser.com/story/57957/ny-times-to-notify-feds-its-shutting-globe.html

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sheeehit.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Seems to me this is what starts the clock running, giving all of them two months (yawn) to work out some grim but acceptable -- and let's face it, temporary -- resolution. Get back to me when we've burned through 59 more days.

Little is more boring than somebody crying wolf. No freaking way Pinch has the stones to shutter the place before trying at least to dump it at a closeout price.

Draft saved Draft deleted