1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe announces pay site/free site model

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is the model we're probably going to go with. I'm meh on it.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Michael: The 40,000 daily up here puts most stuff up free, but letters to the editor are behind the pay wall. ;)

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I wish Boston the best, but at our (much smaller, 20K) shop, this model hasn't worked.

We went from a free site that was heavily visited to the two-site model earlier this year, and guess what happened?

People griped that the free site was ruined after things like full obits and the archives were moved behind a pay wall, and no one visited the (podunkpress)extra.com site, even though print subscribers were given free access, or you could pay a subscription for online access to EVERYTHING.

If people wanted EVERYTHING, they'd get the print edition. Online readers are different; they want a quick read, and the free site still provides that.

Bottom line for my shop: the paid site generates no "extra" revenue, but it takes way more time to upload everything to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted