1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston gets 2024 U.S. Summer Olympic bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If Boston gets it, it's going to be awful.
    It will be terrific for Rhode Island though. I could see Newport hosting the sailing events and that, along with people coming to visit during the games, will bring in a ton of money while we spend little, if anything at all.
    I already told my wife if Boston gets the games, we're renting our house out to some rich foreign family and going on a vacation.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rhody, I don't see any events being out of state unless RI or RI businesses kicked in some serious dough. We got the same ocean here, after all.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can baseball be reinstated, just for some games at Fenway?

Starman likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Daniel LaRusso should have gone on to the Olympics and win gold, with Mr. Miyagi as his coach.

5. Michael_ Gee

Isn't baseball expected to be back in for Tokyo?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of all the US cities, I think Boston is the most prepared to host, at least from a sporting and climate perspective. Politically? Well, I guess it depends who is in office at the time. What's Mitt Romney doing these days?

7. Michael_ Gee

Having spent six years badmouthing the state while running for President twice, Mitt's not going to be around much here anymore.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to see the Olympics in person. But not here. And the idea of Boston pols, contractors and IOC officials in cahoots with each other is just a corruption stew that's almost too rich to ponder.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Blue font? They passed over the city that is head and shoulders above any other that is most prepared to host and could pull it off right now if the IOC said Rio is a no-go. It ain't Boston.

10. Michael_ Gee

I looked at a map on the front page of the Globe today on proposed venues, and it didn't look logistically crazy at all, quite the opposite. Expensive, but not crazy. Weird fact: Every single Boston sportswriter who has commented on the Olympics, all of whom I know and some I consider good friends, has come out against the Olympics here. It's like French chefs coming out against cream and butter.
    I'm all for it, because I think I'd have a good time.
    Seriously, it's hard not to see Boston's selection as the USOC telling the IOC to put up or shut up about its stated desire to have simpler Games.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What facilities have the least use after the Olympics are over?

Velodrome is probably one. If a few expensive venue sports were eliminated, perhaps that would help. I suppose it is a drop in the bucket though.

I'd like to see lacrosse make a comeback. Not enough nations play it though.

12. Michael_ Gee

Oh, I could see the velodrome becoming a hipster sports craze post-Olympics. The city could actually use a new swimming venue because due to liability issues the colleges have stopped letting high school and youth swim organizations use their pools.

Draft saved Draft deleted