1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston College threatens Jagodzinski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course you should, but sometimes the time isn't right. There have been jobs I wanted to apply for, but for one reason or another, the timing wasn't right and I didn't put in for it.

Jags, at least at the moment, strikes me as any other coach -- Saban, Petrino, Pitino, Larry Brown, etc. Willing to stay around until either things go south or a bigger paycheck comes around. Nothing wrong with that, but if I'm looking for a coach down the line, I would keep in mind he looked to leave one year after he wanted and received a pay raise after his first season at BC.

Something tells me he simply doesn't want to be a college coach, period. Tried it, didn't like it, back to the NFL.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Or maybe he realizes that in the long run, Boston College is a bad job and he is doing what he can do to get fired.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The thing is, Boston College IS a bad job, at least in college football circles. The fanbase is almost non-existent. There's a reason why Tom O'Brien jumped to NC State, and why BC fell to the lowest bowl the ACC allows a team in the title game to drop to. The program isn't going to get any better. And no one, save for his nephew, gives a shit about what Doug Flutie did 25 years ago.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Boston College is not a bad job, but unless he hits the lottery (like he did last year with Matt Ryan), Jagodzinski won't have an opportunity to compete for a BCS bowl and a National Championship.

Or, maybe he's just had enough of DeFillipo.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Really, this should have become standard operating procedure for ALL schools about 20 years ago: "You don't talk to anybody, unless you get our express written permission."

But not only is that horse long out of the barn, the whole herd is out of the barn, and the barn has burned to the ground.

You can't do it now, because "everybody else" lets coaches do it with no consequences, and if you decide you are going to be the ONE school which starts blowing whistles about it, you'll end up being the one school nobody wants to work for.

The only way it could work would be if a large number of other BCS-level schools agreed to the same policy, and also not to hire (aka blacklist) coaches who violated it. Which, of course, would bring on a massive conspiracy lawsuit within seconds.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's absurd.

When you interviewed for jobs, were you already employed? What would your reaction have been if an employer said, "Sorry Starman, you cannot interview for the Daily Rag's Lions beat job because you already work for us."?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Key difference: Jagodzinski agreed to and is subject to the terms of a binding contract. Most newspaper employees are at-will employees who are not subject to the terms of a binding contract.

If he's under contract, and he is in fact under contract, then he has no business interviewing for another job without his current employer's permission.

Update: He gone. Presser on ESPNEWS.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

BC isn't a bad job, but it's not a great one by any stretch either.

If this is the way the AD treats employees who do well and have a possible opportunity to move to a better job, then Jagodzinski is better off.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And now Logan is no longer considered the front-runner for the job, according to the Boston Globe. I wonder if he told them he wouldn't accept it? Jago used to be Logan's assistant before it was the other way around.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing Florida had Spurrier under contract before he left for the Redskins. I'd guess the same about Butch Davis, Bobby Petrino and any of the other coaches who have made the jump from college to the pros.

This is a small-time move by a small-time program.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes, it's small-time move to hold a coach to a clause in his contract. Funny how far we've come from a year ago, when we villified Rich Rodriguez (Michigan) and Petrino (Arkansas) for their money grabs. And yet, Jags won't get anywhere near the same treatment for his chance at a money grab. The fact that it's an NFL interview doesn't make it any different.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Is there such a clause in his contract?

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2009/01/bc_fires_jagodz.html

You've made it clear that you will fire a guy, one that has won two straight division titles, for so much as sniffing someplace else.

Good luck getting a coach with any kind of pedigree, BC.

Draft saved Draft deleted