1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston College threatens Jagodzinski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They could do worse...

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Coach Jag is a better choice for the Jets than any of the other names tossed out. The Jets should jump at signing him.

The Jets also need a GM - Tannenbaum is a bean counter with little football background that has fallen into position by default. When you here him talk he sounds like he is Jet intern as opposed to GM . I have no doubt that it soured Cower on the idea of coming to the Jets.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think it would make sense if the Jets hired Parcells to be GM/Head of Football Operations and move Tannenbaum back to his capologist role.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He really thinks BC is better than an NFL job? Wow. Just wow.

The only reason I wouldn't want Steve Logan to have this job is because he's too good a man to put up with DeFilippo (sp?). If the DeFilippo goes through with that, he epitomizes bush league.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't believe he thinks that at all. But if the coach approached you for more money after one season and you gave it to him, and if you made it clear by putting into his contract that you want him there at least three years before moving on, I don't think that's too much to ask.

While it's a different situation, this reminds me of when Glen Mason left KU for Georgia for one week. Then he changed his mind, returned to Lawrence and was a lame-duck coach for the next season before going to Minnesota. I think BC's concern is that by interviewing, Jagodzinski would be a lame-duck coach, which not only affects the locker room but recruits who want to know the coach they liked so much is going to be there a year from now. You know other schools are probably already using this on the recruiting trail.

7. Boom_70

Hey it's life in college football. It's not like Defillipo has a great track record in honoring his word. If Jags has a bad year what stops BC from firing him.

Hope the Jets hire him. He is the best candidate out there.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If DeFilippo does fire Jags, then at least one man involved in this story would have kept his word.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

From what I've read, the Jets are more interested in Rex Ryan and Russ Grimm. I don't understand why Jagodizinski isn't higher on their radar. He's a coach with a clear understanding of offensive football. After the Herm and Mangini defensive reigns of error, why not look at a coach who specialize in offense?

10. Boom_70

Ask the Big East about Defillipo and his word.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No doubt, Oz. I don't question a word of your post.

But I do wonder what is NOT being said by BC or Jags. Something smells. Wonder if it will be revealed when Jags is fired, if that's how this concludes.

In the real world, though, if you were just offered a $5K raise and had a chance to interview for a position that would up you $10-20K or more, never mind more prestige, responsibility, etc., etc., should you not do it?

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you're talking about BC leaving the Big East, I believe the decision to jump ship to the ACC was made by the school president. DeFillipo is only the AD.

Draft saved Draft deleted