1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston College threatens Jagodzinski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The antics at Chestnut Hill Catholic Community College never ceases to amaze.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Why would Jagoff even force the issue for a job that's clearly being gift-wrapped for Brian Schottenheimer?

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Power play.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Brian Schottenheimer did such a wonderful job as the Jets' offensive coordinator. Hiring him to be the head coach? That certainly can't fail.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep, even within its own conference. Three tiers of jobs in the ACC:

A -- Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson. Even though Miami has been down, you can't ignore the history. If they get the right guy in there, they can come back. Not sold on Shannon one bit. And Clemson gets a ton of great athletes. Just need someone to coach them up.

B -- BC, NC State, UNC, Maryland, Georgia Tech -- All are capable of maybe, at some point, putting together a nice, BCS type of season, like when Maryland went to the Orange Bowl or when GT split a national title in the 90s. I hesitate to put UNC in the B tier, but Butch Davis has that program on the way up and the athletics department seems to want to fund football. Same with N.C. State. O'Brien can elevate that program a notch above where it should be.

C -- Duke, Virginia, Wake -- Duke will never be more than an 8-win team. Wake's Orange Bowl year was a fluke. Grobe's an excellent coach, but he'll never get the sort of consistent athletes there that will allow him to be a consistently ranked, 10-win sort of team. Virginia needs to stop getting its ass kicked all over its own state for recruits before it can ever dream of moving up a level. And when they snag one of those top level recruits, they can't have him be a complete miss who goes, pardon the pun, up in smoke.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

so...did this happen yet?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Key reason why BC made huge mistake leaving the Big East.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see some similarities, but Jagodzinski has not pulled nearly as much crap as Rodriguez did. No destroying of records. No calling recruits to try to bring them to Michigan before he has even told anybody at West Virginia he was leaving. No attempts to weasel out of a buyout payment in the contract he signed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Right, but my point is why pull a power play for a job you know you can't get? I'd make a move for a job at least where I had a chance.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This will be an interesting pissing match.

Does he interview for a job that he has next to no chance of getting, even though it's very good experience and based on his career path, is probably where he wants to wind up?

I think he has to do it. If they fire him, so be it, he'd have a job waiting for him in Seattle or Green Bay.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I was hoping Wisconsin would fire Bielema and hire Jago.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

And Jags actually coached in his team's bowl game before even interviewing, let alone splitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted