1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston College threatens Jagodzinski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Oh, you only say that because football sold out one game this year -- and that one game was against Notre Dame.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, tough to fill a 44,500 seat stadium.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

so did this Jago guy interview with the Jets today?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

Yeah, there's a few teams down south that barely do that twice a week.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Let's see, we have a young coach who wants to interview for what he perceives to be a bigger job and is willing to piss all over his current boss to do it.

We have an athletic director who, to be sure, has had his bouts with shitheadedness but isn't about to blink in this high-stakes game of chicken -- and reportedly is ready to promote a longtime assistant to replace him if for no other reason than the AD is sure the loyal guy isn't going anywhere.

Where have we seen this before?

[​IMG]

Oh, right. I know a certain coach who would give Jags the thumbs-up for the way he's handling this.

(And I know DeFilippo deserves this kind of karma for his verbal agreement to keep BC in the Big East. I also know this is the first time Jags has flirted with another job. But still, the parallels are striking.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. MU_was_not_so_hard

That might be one of the sleeziest pictures I've ever seen.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Logan has been an OC for two years. Before that, he was doing talk radio and spending a whole heck of a lot of time fishing, drinking wine and listening to jazz.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, the longtime loyal assistant I was referring to wasn't Steve Logan, but Frank Spaziani. The Boston Globe calls Spaziani "an even stronger candidate."

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2009/01/bc_ready_to_fir.html

The last sentence of the Globe blog entry: Spaziani provides the stability that DeFilippo wants for the program and would have almost no inclination to leave for another job."

9. Bob Ryan has a column today summing it up nicely http://tinyurl.com/7y5f9b

"I find it difficult to believe that Gene DeFilippo honestly believes Boston College is the kind of destination school that will hold a quality coach's interest for a long time. In football especially, a school such as BC must get lucky with the right guy (i.e. Jack Bicknell in the '80s, Tom O'Brien in the last decade), because BC is - and I'm sure Gene DeFilippo hates to hear this - a steppingstone school in both football and basketball."

Game Over.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This shows how small-time BC really is. It's a B-level job.

I'm amazed the Jets have any interest in Jagodzinski, but firing a guy for interviewing for a better job is as small-time as you get. If it was another team in the same conference, fine, but this is just absurd.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They want a BC man to coach BC.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The pro typical BC man

Draft saved Draft deleted