1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Bruins Reporter, New Media, NESN -- Boston, MA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sayyestomi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. sayyestomi

sayyestomi New Member

Posted on June 3...

http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/boston-bruins-reporter.html

"This is a full-time temporary position which may have the opportunity to convert to a perm full-time position."

Any Boston media people out there that can weigh in on this?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Is this James Murphy's job?

3. rbright13

rbright13 New Member

I don't think it is. Murphy is a staff writer for NESN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this is a brand new position.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know what they mean, but "temporary full time" is pretty oxymoronish. I say that not as criticism of NESN. All I've heard, they are a good organization for a team-based media outlet.

5. JimmyHoward33

It does, but it also sounds like the job description is pretty much the exact same stuff Murph does. It's a great gig though there's nothing listed about salary; I'm assuming when it says full-time temp that means for the entire 2010-11 season and then it'll be re-evaluated next summer? That's really the only flag here.

6. bjammin180

bjammin180 New Member

They recently posted for a Red Sox new media writer and hired from within. From what I know from that job search and being a reference for a former intern who was just hired as a PA, the "full-time temporary" tag is there as changes are being made to the website, itself. If you've followed NESN.com at all over the last two years, you've seen that the design and functionality has changed nearly every month. I'd expect this to continue until they're happy and are regularly competing with WEEI.com, CSNNE.com, Boston.com and the like. That said, this is a terrific opportunity for anyone with the credentials. I jumped at the chance to put in for the Red Sox job. With the way NESN handles the Bruins (and the way the B's are now being covered and watched in this town), this could be a solid gig.

7. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

This is James Murphy's job. When they hired for the Sox new media job, they hired Tony Lee, who was NOT an inside candidate. The decision for Murphy to move on was mutual between him and NESN, from what I understand. NESN.com definitely lacks behind the other major players in the market but they have had more effort to step up regular beat writers recently as their new media budget has expanded. They continue to evolve.

8. JimmyHoward33

Thanks for the info...while NESN might not have the muscle on the Web others do there are really only 2 hockey people in Boston better than Murphy, if you ask me. He's probably already landed on his feet and this will be a great gig for somebody.

9. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

Out of curiosity, who are the two better people than Murphy? Kevin Paul Dupont and who?

10. CR19

CR19 Member

I think Fluto Shinzawa from the Globe is one of the better Bruins writers in the area.

11. sayyestomi

sayyestomi New Member

I couldn't agree more. Fluto is not just one of the best Bruins writers in the area, he's one of the most respectable hockey writers around, in general. A great guy, a hard worker, and an interesting read.

Also, thanks to those who gave some good insight on this opening, it seems like a good opportunity despite the "temp" label it's been given in the description.

12. JimmyHoward33

Globe guys. Really, I'd read Murphy before the guys at EEI and CSSNE any day of the week. To each his own though.

Draft saved Draft deleted