1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston-area "new media company" jobs.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Feb 6, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mod or Webby, move this if you will.

So a company posts four ads on jjobs.com today, all right next to each other, talking about new media opportunities in the Boston market.

Sounds like a group of weeklies that might be starting up, but started by whom?

Here's links to a couple of the ads.
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=734892
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=734891

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Small staff, large vision" is my favorite euphanism yet for "we're running things on a shoestring budget."

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

BYH, I'd meant to mention that in the initial post.

Interesting stuff, to say the least.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Caught this on Thursday.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=181693

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

BSTN--Schill38 kix ass. Sx win 4-2.

-30-

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

This job sounds like it's a good gig, but you're gonna work your ass off for little $$$, and that may be a problem living in Boston.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

One of the reasons I'd say this company is not the text company is that they've posted an ad for copy editors/page designers. Not really relevant for a Web-only medium.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And it looks like we have our answer.

from www.journalismjobs.com:
    Position:
    Design Director for new free daily, BostonNOW
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    April 17, 2007
    Job ID: 734899

Description:
    BostonNOW, the new free daily launching in Boston and 8-10 cities nationwide over 3 years, is seeking a design director who wants to lead a small staff of designers in changing the way newspapers present the news in print and online.

We’re looking for an inspiring, fast, creative, inquisitive design director anxious to give readers not only visually appealing pages but also pages that add depth to the readers’ experience.

Our designers will become (or already are) extremely knowledgeable in one area (news, sports, politics, business, entertainment, health, fashion, etc.). They will get to use their knowledge of related web sites and local bloggers to add richness to every page they produce. The design director must have a track record of producing scintillating pages and the ability to teach and motivate others to similar heights.

The design director will work closely with the photo chief and editor to plan multi-media coverage of stories and how those stories are presented in the paper and on our web site.

Candidates must be proficient in InDesign as well as PhotoShop and Acrobat. He or she must also have experience in PDF/prepress troubleshooting as well as photo editing and color correction.

This is an opportunity to build a portfolio for the 21st century. Please send me a cover letter, resume and links to your portfolio to: johnwilpers@aol.com. Thank you.

9. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Someone just told me about this--I know people who have worked with John Wilpers before, and it's nothing but really bad news. He's a bad guy--he's been fired by several different newspapers, and is extremely difficult to work with. If you take this job, just know you're going to be walking into a bad situation dealing with this guy.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd be afraid of any job that requires me to have a "knowledge of local bloggers" for a design job.

Draft saved Draft deleted