1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bosses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gorndawg, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I still think they are. However, many of them are using what the big papers are doing as an excuse to do it,too -- even thought if somebody pulled back the sheets, they'd see they really didn't have to.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, maybe things will get better and I am just angry right now, but I am angry right now.
    Goddamn, as much as I love where I am, I was close to dusting off the resume.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

if it makes you feel any better, I have felt your pain and I'm sure I'll probably feel it again before the end of next week

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It does make me feel better. Thanks. I am just annoyed right now. Once football starts, I am sure I will get fired up again.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I would put my SE's weekley work schedule up against anyone. I'd say he works at least 70 hours a week usually.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

From talking to the weekly guys, I have heard they work crazy hours. Especially when it is a one-man shop.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I am still bitter about working 23 1/2 hours on the last day of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.

Bitter that we didn't have 30 more minutes work to do so I could say I worked for 24 in a row.

It would make a better story.

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i worked at a six-day couple years ago and worked a few 70-hour weeks for about a month or so during tab time and into football season. that was awesome. the other sports guy left in the middle of july. great timing.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

When I was the one-man sports dept. at a twice weekly, I probably averaged 70 hours a week.

Now, as part of a 4.5 staff, I seldom go over 50. My SE, however, probably averages 65 or 70 during the school year.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I want to know what kind of poon one pulls at the licker store.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Having just left a one-man shop, I'm surprised I didn't kill myself.
    Homecoming week last year I had games for each of the five sports to cover and take photos, I had a special pullout section to complete and I was fighting a nasty cold.
    I wont miss doing that this year!
    But even on a typical week, I'd work in the office during the week and then I'd be out covering events on the weekend so it felt like I never actually had any days off. If I were to take vacation, I'd have to somehow write enough copy and take enough photos for the days I'd miss before I left.
    You learn a lot pretty quick, but it gets old fast, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted