1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. mb

mb Active Member

And if anybody else watched it, I've got a question I'd love to have answered.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Watched the whole season over the last 2 days. A couple observations:

--Why so many closeups of eyeballs?
    --All these people are not having sex standing up, especially behind a pillar in City Hall. They're just not. Stop it.
    --Other than the mayor, the characters are surprisingly cliche. Icy ambitious wife, rumpled haggard reporter, sex-kitten-but-serious-no-really-she's-serious Kitty (come on, just call her Pussy, you know you meant to), the John Edwards clone.
    --And I know it's just for TV, but Kitty dresses like a cheap slut...no one in City Hall would dress like that except maybe a file clerk from Cicero with blue eyeshadow to her hairline. And her gooey lipgloss is still perfect after she's been slobbering all over Zajac? Come on.

But great acting despite the one-dimensional roles, and really great story. I grew up around Chicago politics, a close relative was high up in the realm of Royko's BOSS, it all rings true. Probably could have used more of a mob influence, can't have Chicago politics without that.

Re the actor playing the reporter, interesting that he's the son of Jane Fonda but more fascinating that his dad is Tom Hayden, one of the legendary Chicago Eight of the 1968 DNC riots. Looks just like him.

Is there going to be another season?

3. mb

mb Active Member

Starz gave the go-ahead for a Season 2 before Season 1 even aired. Heard some chatter that they might reconsider, but nothing serious, yet.

4. mb

mb Active Member

And because I'm often the last to pick up on stuff ...

QUESTION (SPOILER)

Was the entire conversation with Ezra a hallucination? Was some of it a hallucination? Was none of it a hallucination?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I actually want to watch that scene again, when Ezra and Kane are sitting alone in the office. The monologue about punishment was almost surreal, made me think it was an hallucination.

Also, would no one notice that all these people associated with the mayor are suddenly missing or dead or bleeding profusely?

6. mb

mb Active Member

Yeah, I'm gonna have to watch that one again, too. Thing is, I don't think they ever show him leaving the room. One minute he's there and the next he's not, which led me to think hallucination.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... Initially, I thought it was reality. But once you bring up the thought of hallucination, I am going to need to re-watch it -- which I will do WITH PLEASURE.

rb

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Another question....since we know Kitty isn't above picking up guys in bars, how do we know Zajac is responsible for her situation?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Because it would make for a shitty storyline. :D

Just saw the finale. I liked it, but it seemed more over the top than it needed to be. The second-to-last episode was the one that I just thought was beyond awesome.

Zajac's wife chewing him out was just classic. Zajac begging Kane for forgiveness from his knees was beyond awesome too...

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I really think her storyline is dead. Whether the baby is kept or aborted, she's not going to go back into the Kane sphere of influence. She'll be afraid to take a job with another candidate and won't say a word to the press - especially when she finds out Ezra was eliminated. Leaving town and starting over is her best bet.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I envision her staying around because Kane knows he can control her and, assuming he knows about her and Zajac (probably a safe bet) he can use that as additional leverage against the governor, assuming Zajac wins the general election.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They didn't invest all that interest in pricey thongs and sex-proof glitter lipgloss just to dump her character. When the new season starts, the baby will already be born and she'll be back in her teeny tacky suits, skanking around the Governor's Mansion as a double agent for Kane.

And Mrs Kane becomes the de facto mayor when she realizes she can call the shots whenever he's curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted