1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boss got fired, what now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Meat Loaf, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

The ME of my shop was "asked to step down" last week, which pretty much means he was shitcanned. He's been here for just over two years and I got here before him by a few months, so this is my second change in management. When he came, nearly the entire newsroom turned over. From a newsroom of 30 positions, there are five of us still here from when I was hired. I'm thinking I should freshen up the resume in case I don't make it through another change at the top.

Have any of you seen anything this bad?

I'm thinking about applying to a local college for a job in the athletic department. I barely missed out on the job last summer, but the guy who got it only made it a year. It pays about $2,000 less per year and the cost of living is higher, so it would be tough to do it. But I just don't know if I want to stick with this paper. Too many unknown factors right now.

Don't know what you guys can tell me, but I just needed to vent.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Why was the ME asked to step down? Was the publisher not happy with the paper's content? Is advertising renevue down? What was the reason he/she got canned? This doesn't necessarly mean your ijob is in jeopardy. The publisher could be happy with the staff and not the ME, so no need to worry yet. But always keep your resume up to date.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

At my first stop, the SE was fired on my fourth day of work. It was definitely a sign of things to come. I only lasted five months there.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

First, quit referring to your newsroom as a shop.

Second, quit whining and apply for his job.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Is there a new ME coming in soon? A bad boss can be absolutely destructive, but a good one can make things exponentially better. Would it be possible to hold off to make a decision on the athletics job until the new guy comes in?

6. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Nope. Positions closes next week. Last time they hired a ME, it took about three months to fill.

We don't know what's going on regarding why he was canned.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Meat,

Those directly underneath the ME are probably at greater risk. It's always best to be ready to leave when a new boss comes in instead of hoping you can stay. It changes the power dynamic. A new boss needs stability for the first couple of months. If they bring candidates in, check with people he/she has worked with in the past. Be wary if the new hire is making a pretty big leap up the ladder or doesn't have hard news experience.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hello, Marietta!

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

This one guy they brought in at our place was Mr. Nice Guy the first month, then the blood started to flow.
    When the carnage was over, it was an almost 100 percent turnover.
    We found out later the place he came from threw a going-away party AFTER he left.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

now that's friggin awesome.

11. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Good thing I'm only a humble writer. My first impression is that I can weather this just like the last time.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

One night, we needed a photo from a paper where the photo editor had worked before coming to our paper. When we called, they were just cutting a cake celebrating the year anniversary since her departure, and apparently, the laughter was plenty audible in the background when they found out who was calling.

I mean, a cake on the departure is one thing. True hatred, I would think, is celebrating the anniversary.

Draft saved Draft deleted