1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Borrowing story ideas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nmsports, Sep 27, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I hear tell there's a college with a top-25 football program and its own sports web site and its own writers. I also hear tell that when beat writers request a player/coach/administrator for a feature or take-out, they're asked the nature of the story. If a reason isn't given, it's harder to get the access, leaving the writer two choices: 1. try to get the stuff within the window of normal media availability (a window the size of a keyhole at this school), or 2. Tell them the subject of the story.
    If it's No. 2, and the story isn't judged to be negative, a funny thing seems to happen: a story on the same subject appears on the school's sports web site within days, written by one in the in-house guys -- who obviously have more access.

Thoughts?

2. Schottey

Schottey Member

Sounds a lot like the stories that I heard tell about when Urban Meyer was in Florida.

3. silent_h

silent_h Member

In the cases I've seen a local story and written something national, I always do two things:

1. Build upon or expand the story so that I'm not just recycling - and I mean REALLY build and expand;

2. Acknowledge the work done by the writer of the idea source material, either via link, mention or both. I often try to let the writer personally know what I'm doing, too.

To me, No. 2 is a straight-up professional courtesy. Just good manners. As a bonus, people often help you out.

As for No. 1 - well, if you don't have that, why bother writing anything in the first place?

4. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I'm a freelancer, and there have been times over the years where I have discussed ideas with prospective clients, only to see those ideas passed along to full-timers. I'm more upset with myself when it happens, but on the other hand, what are you supposed to do? You've got to make a pitch, no?

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

At first I thought I knew what school was being talked about. Then I thought how many schools could that describe? Trying to snuff out any negative stories, then stealing positive stories/features and promoting them as a great story for media to pick up on. Wouldn't a number of athletic departments do that?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not really surprised. Not really fair, but, again, you can't copyright ideas. All you can do is attempt to write the better story.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

I don't know who taught you English, but there's no such thing as "borrowing" an idea.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good writers borrow. Great writers steal.

Draft saved Draft deleted