1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boredom while running

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OrangeGrad, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

WAY back when I ran regularly, I used the time to think, plot, plan, dream. Christ, it was my favorite time of the day and a major reason I need to get my fat ass moving again.
    Varying routes helps. See new stuff. Count varieties of birds. Make friends with a couple of dogs.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't run.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Run past an area with nesting red winged blackbirds and/or magpies. They'll get your attention real fast.

Carrying a tennis racket helps knock them away as they peck at your face/head.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I love running to hit a yellow fuzzy ball before it bounces a second time.

Pretty much hate running in any other form.

[​IMG]

Are we having fun yet?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Chose a treadmill in front of the yoga/zumba class

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Podcasts and comedy albums are great. If you have an iPod touch, you can listen on 2X and everything really passes quickly. I don't know if they have that option on regular iPods.

If you have a comedy album and you want to listen at 2X, all you have to do is hit Control I and change it from music to audiobook. I do it all the time and love it.

7. It's running. It's supposed to be boring.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If using the iPod touch, just make sure you turn off the option to change songs when you shake it. Nothing worse than hearing a new opening note, or a seemingly stuttering podcast host, with every step you take.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I change up the music I listen to each time I run or go for a long bike ride.

The key for me when I was running marathons was to switch up my route as often as possible,visiting less familiar parts of town so that the scenery remains fresh. It also really helps to have someone to run with, even if they're only along for four or five miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted