1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boredom while running

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OrangeGrad, Mar 17, 2010.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

So I'm toward the end of training for a marathon and I can't believe how boring it is to run. Anyone have any ways to keep yourself distracted while running for three or four hours? Music hasn't worked.

2. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Running bores the shit out of me. That's why I ride a bike.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Run through a bad neighborhood. Keeps you on your toes AND improves your time.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Download some podcasts and/or buy a comedy album?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Do a mental project. I write rap songs while running.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

ouch.

I usually write stories in my head while running, but since you are training for a marathon I guess you want to keep focused on your time.
    So try either changing your running routes or visualize the marathon itself.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I replay conversations over in my head and try to think of what I could've said to make them better.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Take a handful of pennies. Drop them on your route. On the way back see how many you can find and pick up.

Do out and backs where you try to return faster than you went out.

Try negative splitting where you try to run every mile faster than the previous mile.

Run somewhere new.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Podcasts are a lifesaver. There are plenty of marathon-oriented ones; I also like to listen to Planet Money and several classes on Podcast University.

11. I really like the Slate culture and political podcasts. They are oozing with oblivious pretension to the point of almost being self-parody at times, but still really entertaining. Plus, they are 40-50 minutes long, which is often an issue with trying to find podcasts because they are so short. I wish I could find just some straight news and news commentary daily podcasts for just this purpose, but they are usually only about five minutes long.

As an aside, I once did this story about high school cross country, and got an earful from an angry coach who thought that I was somehow slamming his sport. Definitely a what-am-I-doing-with-my-life moment.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't run nearly as far as you probably are, so I don't know for certain if I could ever get bored running. I just blast music in my ears, but I barely even hear it, because I get into a zone when I run. That is why I can't imagine being bored while I run. My mind rapid fires. All the time. Even when I am trying to fall asleep. It's a curse. Running is the only thing, other than serious drugs, that truly calms my mind and allows me to focus on nothing. I love that feeling -- getting physically exhausted, sweating and being able to push myself, because of the feeling of calm and the fact that my mind can be on a vacation in some dreamland a thousand miles away. I can't imagine the boredom of just running if I didn't have that.

Draft saved Draft deleted