1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boras, pick trying to stick it to Pirates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2008.

1. If the arbitrator determines the Commissioner's Office did not have an agreement with the Player's Association about extending the deadline beyond midnight, the end result is voiding the agreements of two players (Eric Hosmer and Pedro Alvarez). We're talking about two players who have very little chance of getting selected in the same spot for the 2009 draft due to the rich pitching depth and other prospects.

This illustrates the exact problem with MLB, MLBPA, agents, and stupid players.

If Alvarez is successful (trust me, he's not getting a penny more from Pittsburgh), he will go from being the #2 overall draft pick in 2008 to possibly 10-15 next year because NCAA now has evidence Boras is an agent for the young man. Stupid decision by Pedro and his parents to allow Boras to make this move. You have to wonder what the Hosmer family are thinking right now.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08241/907633-63.stm

Full story from this morning. Apparently, the arbiter could rule against MLB, but still not negate the contracts of Alvarez or Hosmer. He could just rule that from this point forward, MLB must handle such situations in a different manner.

By all accounts on both sides, it was Alvarez on the phone with the Pirates accepting the deal, not Boras. So, the kid blinked (or finally showed some sense, depending on your point of view), and Boras doesn't like it.

The Pirates also pointed out that Alvarez did agree to a deal before Hosmer, though Boras isn't complaining about that one.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And neither are Hosmer and the Royals. He's already taken BP at Kauffman Stadium, done the press conference and has played three games at Idaho Falls. Alvarez should have done the same.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My view is this is Boras and that there is precedent for MLB exercising its discretion to allow negotiations to continue past midnight. There is no dispute that an agreement was reached. I would say that the arbitrator would only clarify the existing conditions for future negotiations and not void the current deals.

Backtracking on a deal (different from never reaching a deal) never looks good.

5. outofplace

Agreed, which is why the Pirates brought it up. Shows just how full of shit Boras is on this whole thing.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Of all the many, many reasons I've completely given up on baseball. Scott Boras has got to be in the top five.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

About every third time I see this slug, I read it as "Boras: prick trying to stick it to Pirates."

Does this make me a bad person?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe he'll pitch for one of the independent leagues until next year?

Still, I would hope he would have insured his arm, or something. It would really suck for him if he got hurt while making $800 a month in the independent leagues.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It makes you human around here.

He has to be near the top of my list, too. Not saying Drew Rosenhaus and his ilk are great for the NFL, but Scott Boras is slime. Yes, he gets the players their money and that's his job. Fine. But the fact that he thinks he's the smartest kid in class - and the most antagonistic - isn't necessary.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm certainly not sticking up for the owners, but baseball should just say "we will no longer take calls from Scott Boras. Players, if he's your agent, you'd better find a new one or find a new job."

I don't even think non-Boras players like the guy. Early in the year, Chipper Jones was asked if he thought Tex was going to resign with the Braves. He said, "Scott Boras is his agent. That's all I need to know right there."

11. outofplace

Baron, Alvarez is a third baseman (possibly going to end up at first by the time he reaches the majors), so it would be kinda interesting if they had him pitch.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It's the Pirates. He's got a nice arm from third to first, so he's probably better than just about anyone in their bullpen.

Draft saved Draft deleted