1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boras, pick trying to stick it to Pirates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Worth a thread, I think.

At the Pirates’ request, the Office of the Commissioner today placed Pedro Alvarez on Major League Baseball’s Restricted List. The Pirates were forced to request that Pedro be placed on the Restricted List because we were informed by his agent, Scott Boras, that Pedro will not sign the contract to which he agreed on August 15. Boras further informed us that Pedro will not report to the Club unless we renegotiate his contract and agree to pay him more than the $6 million signing bonus to which he agreed.
  2. bueller

bueller Member

Definite Boras ploy to get around that signing deadline and it won't work. How many times will Boras try to change the MLB draft rules? His only accomplishment is getting the official name changed to First-Year Player Draft.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The whole debate will center around: What exactly has to happen by midnight?
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We've been discussing this on the baseball thread. Somebody else linked this story from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Boras responded by getting the player's union to file a grievance, saying that the agreement was reached after the midnight deadline.

To clarify, the story does not credit Boras with getting the union to file the grievance, but I have no doubt he is behind it.

Edit: Exactly right, Moddy. I have a feeling the Pirates are the ones who are going to get screwed on this one.
  5. markvid

markvid Guest

What this has turned into is over 200K so Boras can say he got the highest signing bonus.
    He is playing with fire on this one. It's fraud and if, in the end, MLB would attempt to take away any rights he has to deal with them, I, for one, would stand and applaud.
  6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If nothing else, this will result in a clarification of what has to be signed and delivered by the deadline.

(BTW, yes it is worthy of a thread of its own. Too many people are sticking discussion-worthy developments in those interminable baseball threads. Some of us don't bother with the baseball threads because we have no patience with three pages of, "Shit, the Cardinals left the bases loaded" and "Joe West has to be kidding with that call" posts).
  7. markvid

markvid Guest

And, Boras knew MLB said all was in order that night and agreed to it.
    What changed?
    Oh, Scotty, you really fucked up this time.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

the sick part is the union filing a grievance on behalf of Alvarez (and Boras) regarding the deadline. Boras is the one trying to get around the deadline.

I'm taking an educated guess here, but either Alvarez blinked at the notion of not signing, thus placing himself in an uncertain position or Boras simply figured he needed more time to get the Pirates to cave. So, agreeing verbally to a deal, then refusing later to sign and not allowing Alvarez to show up is his way to get more time to negotiate.

Unfortunately, the players' union is is taking his side, as demonstrated by the grievance on Alvarez's behalf. That means MLB isn't just going to be fighting Boras on this one.

Edit: markvid, he didn't screw up. He just thinks he can get away with this bullshit in large part beause he expects the union to take his side.
  9. He didn't screw up.
    He's trying to circumvent the system. Son of a bitch - with the full backing of the player's union - will probably prevail too. Cocksucker.
  10. sorry, an oral contract is proven to be a contract in many places. does anyone remember the lindros mess with the flyers and rangers?

move this to federal court, and i have a feeling boras is toast.
  11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I don't imagine the player's association will allow that, certainly not without a pretty vicious fight.
  12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Alvarez has blinked before. He turned down a big deal with the Red Sox and went to Vanderbilt, where he played for a well-respected coach and probably became a better player (and certainly got a better education).
Draft saved Draft deleted