1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boras on steroids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by digger, Aug 18, 2009.

1. digger

digger New Member

So Scott Boras was on WFAN this morning with Adam the Bull and Jon Heyman, essentially to talk about the Nationals' new pitcher, and Adam actually was able to ask some steroids questions without Boras hanging up.

Adam was actually pretty tough on him, throwing some haymakers (but not really connecting, Boras is a smart man).

Among the highlights: Boras basically admitted some culpability for the mess in the late 90's/early 2000's, sort of, saying "we all were at fault and should have paid better attention'' (paraphrasing) after Adam called him out on having doctors and trainers working with all his clients and saying shouldn't Boras have known what was going on?

Boras tried the "everyone was doing it'' defense, i guess ostensibly to help his current clients "these youngsters were in this environment''. But Adam didn't follow up on that, with a good question being - are you saying it was rampant in the clubhouses? Which I guess everyone is sort of conceding that yes, it was, now.

So Boras is saying that in the late 90s, a good chunk of the major leagues was using steroids, and "the youngsters'' then - now the manny's, arods, etc. were just drawn into it?

Boras also tried the "they didn't know what the long term consequences would be'' I think talking about injuries and such, but also that there would be a stigma - that people would look at the players who did it as cheaters. What he really was trying to say, I think, was that the players didn't realize they would be branded as cheaters and their accomplishments tainted when it was revealed that they were cheaters.

I would have like Adam to have asked him how they couldn't know it was cheating/not good for you/etc. when it was well know everywhere that steroids where a banned substance in international sports. Ben Johnson was in the 1988 Olympics, after all.

But still a pretty good job by Adam.

(edited to fix Boras' name).

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Boras on steriods

Next caller.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Boras on steroids:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Poin will be angry that you're working his corners.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Sorry, dools--that's the first thing I thought about when I saw the thread title. That beast warrants some added pub anyway.

And poin won't mind--at least I posted the picture. Now, if I hadn't, then maybe it's GTFO.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Looks better than some of the teachers he's posted.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not a fan of someone asking Boras tough questions?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Apparently not.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Put this through Boras-fish:

"I don't care if they 'roided up or not. I got paid."

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Better yet:

"Of course they roided up. Why do you think I have my own 'nutrionists' on staff? Do you think I'd approve of my clients not maximizing their marketability by whatever means necessary?"

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here I was thinking this thread was going to be about Boras' activities at the signing deadline for the 2009 draft class. He had about 20 clients sign last-minute deals. And then here we go talking about actual steroids instead of figurative ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted