1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boom's Hummers might be gone after today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 31, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

There's a great book, whose name I forget, that traces the history of the SUV in America.

Basically, baby boomer fathers thought vans were too wimpy, so car companies just put these manly, "off-road" Canyonero shells on truck chassis.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's OK, there's still a market for them ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/world/middleeast/30hummer.html?ref=automobiles

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

A world without hummers?

Oh sorry ... cap H.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If this were truly a cruel world, they'd make the announcement on S&BJ Day

5. what's does "Boom's" Hummers mean?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The gas hike of 2008 basically doomed Hummers and the like. If people remotely suspect gas prices could go back to those levels, no chance they'll buy one.

Just curious, what exactly does gas cost in Iraq anyway?

Ship all the Hummers over there.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Want an idea of how stupid people are?

When the H2 came out in 2001, they were fetching $5k OVER sticker for the first six months.

Because the gross vehicle weight of an H2 is roughly equal to that of the Lusitania, GM was not required to post fuel mileage results on the window sticker, like automakers are with most cars and light trucks that have GVW of less than 8,600 pounds.

Soon after people bought their H2 - and paid through the nose for them - they realized that 8-10 mpg was the norm in typical city driving and began taking them back to the dealers in droves, thinking something was wrong with them.

How f---ing stupid do you have to be to not take one look at an H2 and release in terms of gas, it has more suck than Jenna Jameson? Really, people, c'mon.

MOST DEFINITELY NSFW: http://www.fuh2.com/

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I don't drive a Hummer. I'm in the descending middle class. But I just don't get the faux-populism pitchforks-and-torches crowd that wants to string up Hummer owners.

Grow up and get over yourselves.

9. lono

lono Active Member

I intend to. Just as soon as Americans stop dying over foreign oil and the last of my friends and family are home safely from Iraq.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Well, as one of the resident Republicans around here, I will say this about the Hummer (and anything else larger than an extended cab regular pickup truck, as in F-150, Ram 1500, Silverado 1500):

1) Anything larger than a regular pickup should require a thorough background check/license process proving need.

2) Anything not hitting a hard target of 20 mpg in mixed driving should require an annual gas-guzzler tax of $500.

3) Anything over 6,500 pounds should require a $200 annual road use tax, for more wear and tear.

4) Anything larger than a regular pickup should require a specialized driver's education course every four years.

One role of government is to ensure the public good. And from gas use to road wear and tear to danger to other drivers on the road, there is nothing about a Hummer in the public's interest.

Don't ban them, and let GM make a fortune off them if they can, but realize (and legislate) that there are some things that should be hard to obtain in the interest of public health, safety, and geopolitacal advantage.

Besides, any Hummer without the gun mount is for p&%$$#@.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I bought a set of fuh2.com stickers. Was quite pleased with them. Never did go so far as to get the composite poster.

And according to the Times article, gas in Iraq is around $1.40 a gallon now; not bad for us, but it used to be 19 cents. Not stopping Hummer sales, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted