1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 10, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nah, you know it's not Boom. 21 has had both his testicles in a safe deposit box for years. :D

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What do you think the guy said just before the blast?

A) Hey y'all, watch this!

B) Damn. I'd have given my left nut to see that shell go off.

C) I'm gonna take a leak on that shell to make sure it's a dud.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the TV news people to include this demonstration in their July 2 report next year.
    All jokes aside, I'm guessing the "ground-based firework" in question was one of these:

[​IMG]

... and if that's the case, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Those things scare the shit out of me. They're unreliable and unpredictable, and if you aren't familiar with them you can easily fuck some shit up. The fuses take forever to burn, and sometimes go out -- and sometimes don't. Whatever directions are written on those things are in Chinese, or written by a Chinese person in pidgeon English. It's very easy to put the fuse in the wrong way or put them on slightly uneven ground and have them tip over.
    The first time I tried to use one I put the fuse in the wrong way. The shell went off inside the tube instead of launching out and knocked over the tube. It was only by the grace of God the shell more or less burned up instead of shooting out and killing someone.

4. Captain_Hindsight

Captain_Hindsight New Member

This man clearly should have stayed away from the shell.

They should have stuck with the old law.

5. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

Great stories don't start any other way.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The option before A should be "Hold My Beer."

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Where is that from?

9. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

Here in Texas, we just merge the two. "Somebody hold my [beer/bottle of Jack/other]. Y'all gotta watch this. You ain't gonna believe this shit! YEEHAW!!!!"

God knows how many family reunions I've heard that, promptly followed by an uncle tripping off the roof and missing the trampoline all together. [Gets up stumbling, obviously concussed and something broken]: "Where's my beer?"

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The same story.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

As someone who loves to test fate and tie a bunch of those morters together and sometimes stuff two in a tube, I must say that they are what I love about July 4. I have not yet sustained serious injury, but I also understand the risk of these devices and bolt down my tubes to a table out in the middle of a field that has been plowed before I start to load anything. I had a tube fall over one year and luckily it was pointing away from my family gallery or it would have been tragic.

Draft saved Draft deleted