1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Boom! Voices of Sixties by Tom Brokaw

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Without discussing the vets for both generations, which each deserve mutual respect. The Vietnam vets can't help they got dragged into a crappy war.

Sure, each generation has its issues, the WWII generation with race and gender issues. The Boomer generation letting its 'if it feels good do it, damn the consequences and don't hurt anybody's feelings by telling them they are wrong' approach to life.

But I still have much more repsect for the WWII generation just for what they had to live through. The Boomers just seem like a bunch of spoiled whiny children.

Hell, my generation and how screwed up we are is a direct result of the selfishness and hands-off approach to raising children by the Boomers. P

And don't get me started on them throwing the greatness of the 60s music and how it changed the world and today's music is crap.

I would like to read Brokaw's book, I enjoyed The Greatest Generation what I read of it.

And JR, I got the reference, thank you Mr. Zimmerman.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Remember, back in those days THC levels weren't the same and the potency of the dope varied pretty wildly. Tim probably got himself some of the Colombian, or maybe even some Thai stick, and got himself all worked up and paranoid.

3. the boomer generation may not have saved the world from nazi's and fascists, but their bravery helped minorities become equal. their persistence and flat out refusal to fight for a war many felt was unjust eventually led to an all volunteer army. This generation held the gov accounatable--they questioned authority and demanded answers. their writers, singers, filmmakers, etc, changed the way people look at their own world--they shook consciencnous to the core and while it scared many people (and still does) it also made people realize that they can make a difference and life doesn't have to be accepted at face value.

it's unfair to compare people from differnet generations--times were different and it doesn't make one better than the other. people from the boomer gen were/are great assets to this country and should be given the credit they deserve

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is it a D_B when the same person does it?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/49205/

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree -- for the most part. In retrospect, after Vietnam, after their cause had disappeared, Boomers sort of lost their way and the latter part of the '70s became something of a malaise of narcissism and overindulgence. It's hard to get your fill of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Narcissism is one of the defining qualities of the Boomer generation.

7. As opposed to the openminded young folk of today who go nowhere without texting on their Blackberries or earbuds jammed into their cochlear ducts.
    And get the hell off my lawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted