1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boom to The Yankees : " Are You Effin Kiddin Me?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My exact words to my Yankee seat resettlement counselor when he advised me that the same seats in the new Yankee Stadium would cost me $1500 per seat - meaning for 4 seats it would cost $6000 per game - but there would be no cost for the food.

These are seats that 10 years ago cost $25 per game . Last year $125 and this year $250.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you sell any on EBay?

That might take the edge off the cost.

I cannot see any ticket going for $1500 per game. Are you sure you understood him or her?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Seat resettlement counselor?

4. Boom_70

No - I heard him crystal clear - $1500 per seat . You would not even get close to that on EBAY unless its the Yankees /Sox game at end of year that decides the Pennant.

Imagine trying to sell 4 tickets to see Tampa or The Royals for $6000 ? I'd rather take the money and go to Vegas.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But the hot dogs are free!

I wonder what the bleachers are going for next year?

Remarkably, for anyone interested, you can still find $5 bleacher tickets for Yankees games this season on Stubhub.

6. Boom_70

And parking too.

As far as this year besides the bleechers there are plenty of good seats everywhere for most games - You can buy $250 field box seats day of game on stub hub for less than $100 per.

It will be interesting to see if the Yankees are overreaching.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'm still shocked that they are playing Texas on 9/21 rather than the BoSox.

Was the BoSox series last week sold out? I thought I saw a bunch of empty seats, even though announced attendance for last Sunday night was 54K.

8. Boom_70

The Yankees have pre sold over 4 million tickets for the year so almost everything is sold out.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am heading up to the city in August, and a friend of mine has season tickets in the left field corner, third base side one row from the field.

Are your seats in the dugout?

From reading these links, I would trade down seats.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.schmuck23mar23,0,4127587.column
    Amazing name for that writer.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spwally255625341mar25,0,6249093.column

http://www.ticketnews.com/Yankees-MLB-ticket-prices-continue-to-increase4849876

10. Boom_70

Almost in the dugout - halfway between home plate and dugout - Agree on trade down aspect - grab good seats farther back and if you want to sit close just by on stub hub day of game from some poor slub who shelled out $480,000 for his seats and can't use them.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What the hell is a "Yankee seat resettlement counselor"?

It sounds like you're a refugee in the South Bronx

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is insane. And it finally might backfire. They have been upping the ante to get corporate buyers of those field level box seats for years, but that is taking it to a level where demand might not meet supply -- particularly in the face of a recession in which companies are cutting back on some things like this. They are counting on the initial excitement of a new stadium, but will that be enough? It typically buys you a few years of fans, but few people have that kind of money for a baseball game. What they have done the last few years is sell those seats for the prices Boom posted, and have very few leftovers from game to game. When they do have unfilled seats, though, they make them available at the last minute for twice the price the season ticket holders pay, and they always find someone willing to pay -- especially since most games are sellouts or near sellouts. So you get some poor shmuck who pays $250 or $300 a seat (for four seats) for a chance to sit on field level for once in his life. I personally don't think any regular season baseball game is worth that. Hell, I don't think postseason games should merit those kinds of prices. And eventually -- despite the wave of popularity the game is riding -- it HAS to have an effect as it alienates more and more of the regular Joe's who are the bread and butter of the fan base. Those corporate season ticket holders, who pass out tickets to employees and customers who really could care jack shit about baseball (and sit on their cell phones the whole game) just make the Stadium a worse place. During the 90s championship runs, I always enjoyed the Yankees fan base. It has gotten more and more quiet and has turned into a much more unknowledgable crowd in recent years. This is just going to bring the final hammer down. They essentially are shutting out the fans who can make the Stadium a special place. It may work for 2 or 3 or even 4 years--despite a bad economy--because of the excitement of a new stadium, but I really hope this shit backfires--and I like the Yankees--and a half decade down the line they get what they deserve: Camden Yards today.

Draft saved Draft deleted