1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bookstore violation means 30+ Charleston Southern players suspended vs. FSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Sep 9, 2016.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should protest by sitting out the National Anthem during theduring the game for which they are suspended.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It does seem like it could be more of a case of a new employee covering her ass than considering the best alternative.

Why not submit to the NCAA, train players and bookstore employees on the rules and let the chips fall?

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, in Scooba, Miss., Brittany Wagner is reading this in her office and saying "Are you freaking kidding me? I'd be overjoyed if my players remembered to buy pencils."

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know. They stink on ice. /History of the World Part II

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These last couple of years, I haven't required any particular textbook for my intro stats classes (whether grad or undergrad). There are dozens of viable books/editions out there, all of them doing the same thing, all of them available for around $20. Here's a synopsis of what my students have said: "It's not fair that the professor won't pick a book. We need a book that everyone's using so we can all have the same practice exercises."

So this fall, my colleagues and I have adopted a new text, one that has some very nice support materials (like an automated tutor that evaluates how you're doing and points to areas you need to re-read or practice and offers suggestions on when you get stuck). It costs $120. Here's a synopsis of what my students are saying: "The book is too expensive!"

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm going without a textbook in one class I'm teaching this semester. I wasn't using it enough to justify the cost. In my other classes, there are many sections and many folks teaching, so it's a group decision on the text. It's expensive, but I don't have much of a say.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"They were given the option of being suspended this week or next, which is a conference game, and picked this one."

Conference games determine FCS playoff berths.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like that you are teaching the kids that life is unfair and expensive!

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

If "It's (That's) not fair" isn't the most-uttered line by college students inside a classroom, then it's definitely in the top five.

Ace likes this.
  11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In the computer science department at the school I've been going to, I haven't bought a book in the last 45 credits or so of junior and senior level credits.

CS professors might be better at leveraging online resources .... CS students certainly are.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I should note that when I said there were lots of acceptable texts available for $20 or so, I meant older editions. A garden-variety current-edition stats textbook will run you $150 if you're lucky. I've got specialty texts on my bookshelf that cost $250 and $300 TWENTY YEARS ago ...

Draft saved Draft deleted