1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

books

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Mar 4, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Stupid question: when you read a book that talks about real life issues, for example, a book talking about some of the horrible things one did to get drugs, does it ever give you a weird feeling after because you really involve yourself in the book? Also, is that a sign of really good writing, fiction or non fiction

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Are you saying you get emotionally attached to the story, the characters, etc.?

That's not a bad thing.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

A good writer will do that to you.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yeah, that's exactly it. I get emotionally attached to what I'm reading.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i'd say a good novel should do that everytime.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I always put myself in the story. I develop all my own images of the scenes and feel the emotions. That's why I almost never watch a movie of a book I've read. It ruins it for me.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Can't say that's a bad thing, bud. I'd say all writers aim for some sort of connection between their characters and the people reading the work.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I prefer books that make me feel detached from and disinterested in the subject, story and characters.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So I take it you're fighting an urge to kill an old lady, rob her handbag and buy some crack?

10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

more along the lines of fighting the urge to perform sexual favors on unsightly people in an abandoned building in order to smoke coke off tin foil using a straw pulled from a cup in a garbage can.

Draft saved Draft deleted