1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books You've Read More Than Once

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 5, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm DEFINITELY not one to read the same book through twice. List is going to be short.

"Catcher in the Rye"
    "End Zone" (one of Don DeLillo's first novels)
    "Number One"
    "The Godfather"

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Playboy, 12/76

3. The Lord of the Rings along with The Hobbit.
    The Chronicles of Narnia (starting when I was very young; unlike Tolkien, they lose a lot when you're older).
    Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
    All of the Harry Potter books
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    And I'm working on going completely through the Bible for the second time.

4. Several of mine already have been mentioned, so I'll add on Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land"

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I got these in a box set for Christmas a few years back, and you are so right. The Last Battle is almost completely unreadable now that I'm an adult. It's unfortunate, because those were my favorites in late elementary school.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A few I forgot:

"Life in Hell" series, Matt Groening ("School is Hell," "Work is Hell" and "Love is Hell" are best)

"How to be a Complete Bastard," Adrian Edmondson (Vivian from "The Young Ones")

7. It really surprised me, especially when you read some of Lewis' other stuff. I'm reading God in the Dock right now, which is a collection of essays. The man was a genius who had quite a way with words (he was a literature professor).
    But he wrote Chronicles as kids books, and they read like kids books.

8. How could I forget Fight Club?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He was part of Tolkien's literary circle. I believe that Tolkien's the one who converted Lewis from atheism to Christianity.

The Chronicles do read like kids books, and I plan on giving this box set I have to my kids should I ever have any.

I bought the Screwtape Letters at a used books the other day. Can't wait to read that one. I've heard good things.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Quickly:
    East of Eden (I think it's better than Grapes of Wrath)
    Of Mice and Men
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Scarlet Letter
    Sun Also Rises
    Other mysteries not worth mentioning.

And semi-unknowns, Sherman Alexi's "Toughest Indian in the World" (And the movie Smoke Signals written by Alexi) His book "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist-Fight in Heaven" is funny as well.

11. You're right about Tolkien and Lewis. In fact, many believe Treebeard was inspired by Lewis.
    The Screwtape Letters are really good. That and Mere Christianity were probably the two most popular adult works Lewis did. I highly recommend both.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Lots. If I like a book, I'll reread it or at least parts of it. Same with newspaper or magazine stories -- Jones' McCain piece was one, I really liked the ending, and I can recall that like a year later because I read the ending a few times. The first time, I'm along for the ride, the second (or third or fourth time), I want to notice more nuances. Not a prestige thing, either -- there are a couple Lawrence Block mysteries I've read more than once, just because they bordered on literature yet had a lot more action than literature.

Draft saved Draft deleted