1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books You've Read More Than Once

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I read Stephen King's 'The Stand' three times -- all 1,153 pages of the complete and uncut version.

I've re-read a lot of his books, actually.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Ditto

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've read The Stand and It more than once each too.

It is still the creepiest book I've ever read.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I believe I've read "IT" three times, and it's a stunning, beautiful, rambling book that probably falls apart completely at the end, but somehow that doesn't take away from the story for me. The last two paragraphs of the book have always stayed with me for whatever reason, unlike so many books I've read.

He awakens from this dream unable to remember exactly what it was, or much at all beyond the simple fact that he has dreamed about being a child again. He touches his wife's smooth back as she sleeps her warm sleep and dreams her own dreams; he thinks that it is good to be a child, but it is also good to be grownup and able to consider the mystery of childhood . . . its beliefs and desires. I will write about all of this one day, he thinks, and knows it's just a dawn thought, an after-dreaming thought. But it's nice to think so for awhile in the morning's clean silence, to think that childhood has its own sweet secrets and confirms mortality, and that mortality defines all courage and love. To think that what has looked forward must also look back, and that each life makes its own imitation of immortality: a wheel.

Or so Bill Denbrough sometimes thinks on those early mornings after dreaming, when he almost remembers his childhood, and the friends with whom he shared it.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Fight Club.
    One of the best damn books I have ever read.

Really anything by Palahniuk
    I'm re-reading Diary now. After I'm done with that, I intend to find and re-read Choke.

7. A couple of years ago my dad read The Lord of the Rings trilogy for the 50th time.

Yes, he's a nerd.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

50 times? Why doesn't he just write it down from memory instead of reading it again?

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Any of Tom Clancy's books dealing with Jack Ryan.
    Any of Clive Cussler's books (Dirk Pitt adventures).
    Sho-gun by Clavel
    Aztec by Gary Jennings
    Texas by James Michener

Draft saved Draft deleted