1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books You've Read More Than Once

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 5, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK.. now I have time...
    All of Clancy's Jack Ryan books in hardcover
    No Ordinary Time, Doris Kearns Goodwin
    Many of David McCullough's such as 1776, John Adams
    Many of Dan Jenkins' works and most of Feinstein's (If I pay 20-25 bucks for a book, I'm going tp read it more than once).
    Titan, by David Chernow (John D. Rockefeller).
    Welcome to my World, Charlie Vincent....

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Just a few of mine...

Warren, All the King's Men
    Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
    Eco, In the Name of the Rose
    Kinsella, Box Socials
    Delillo, White Noise
    O'Brien, The Things They Carried

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ajax, the Dutch, the War: Football in Europe during WW2 by Simon Kuper

I'd like to think of this book as an alternative history to WW2. It's an incredible read regarding the state of sport during the conflicts. Just about every chapter will devastate you. I particularly have a hard time digesting the tale of Ajax's (a popular Dutch team) first star who happened to be an American. The way the author tracked down his concentration camp bunk mate is simply amazing and gut-wrenching.

Lies Across America: What Our Historic Markers and Monuments Get Wrong by James Loewen

An entire book dedicated to pointing out unbelievable bullshit. His attacks on Confederate markers are especially awesome.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Some really interesting stuff in this thread.

I used to be a big re-reader of books, but since I graduated from college a few years ago, I've become a downright compulsive buyer of books and subscriber to magazines. This means that the weight of unread material is always around, preventing me from re-reading anything. Sort of a shame.

But when I was younger, I loved to re-read. A few books that stood up to multiple re-reads:

The Stand, Stephen King -- 5 reads and counting. The ending gives me the willies every time.

Les Miserables, Victor Hugo -- 3 reads. My favorite book of all time...I actually intend to pick it back up as soon as I get through the book I'm currently reading.

The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis -- See below.

Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert -- 3 re-reads since first being assigned the book in high school.

The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien -- I read this series and the Narnia books once a year for about seven years, through all of middle and high school and into college. They never stopped being good.

I've read Gary Smith's Beyond the Game 3 times, but I need to stop...Seeing all that talent on display can be sort of discouraging.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, this thread caused me to start reading again. I pretty much always go through a Hemingway period every summer where I reread my favorite books of his and so far I have reread Farewell to Arms and the Nick Adams Stories.
    Next, though, I think I will reread Young Lions, which is my favorite World War II novel ever.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I read that for the first time about eight months ago. Great book.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

After I read Young Lions, I went on a tear and read a bunch of Irwin Shaw's works and most of them were really good. They weren't quite as good as Young Lions, but still very good. I would suggest checking them out.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I know this book has been commented on quite a bit already, but I had to say that I just finished reading The Things They Carried again. It was even more poignantly chilling this time 'round.

9. highlander

highlander Member

World War Z was great. Best chapter to me was the Russians using chemical weapons on refugees as they were retreating. The chemical weapons killed everyone, then they waited for the infected ones to rise up and slaughtered them. Seems like a tactic the Russians would use.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Speaking of bringing things back from the dead.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I think I have read Clockers by Richard Price three times and his newest novel Lush Life may get a second read.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted