1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Destiny of the Republic" by Candice Millard. Excellent read, about the short, extraordinary life and agonizing fate of President James A. Garfield.

OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ruth Paine lived in Dallas, and befriended Marina Oswald, with whom she wanted to practice her Russian language skills. Marina and her kids lived with Mrs. Paine, and Marina's husband, Lee, would visit on the weekends. He only spent one night with Marina at Mrs. Paine's house, and that was Nov. 21, 1963. As Lee left for work the next morning, he took with him a piece of rolled-up carpet that he had stored in the garage.

So...this book looks at Paine's friendship with the Oswalds, and details her life after JFK's death. It was interesting, but glossed over the deaths of the president and Oswald, assuming that you know those stories.

Joe Bob says...eh.

Liut likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Board favorite Buzz Bissinger with a new book, The Mosquito Bowl. It centers around a football game played during training for the Battle of Okinawa.

[​IMG]

Also a new release from Cormac McCarthy, The Passenger. His first novel in 16 years. Will be followed by a companion novel in a few weeks. The novel centers on a deep-sea diver who investigates a plane crash and his sister who killed herself 10 years prior. The follow-up novel, Stella Maris, concentrates on the sister's notes from visits with her therapists.

[​IMG]

Cormac McCarthy Finally Lays Down His Arms

And I'm especially looking forward to American Demon, about Eliot Ness' failure in Cleveland.

[​IMG]

Hermes and Flip Wilson like this.
  4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Read my first Ellroy few weeks ago, Perfidia. Then went on a kick and read Widespread Panic and am now finishing up American Tabloid (I was surprised that the writing in Tabloid isn't as batshit insane as Perfidia or Panic).

What would any Ellroy-ologists on the board recommend next from him? The LA Quartet or finish his Underworld Trilogy? Or something else? I would enjoy revisiting the world of the Dudster so thinking maybe the LA books but happy to take other suggestions.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I find the earlier the better with Ellroy. The Lloyd Hopkins books and the LA Quartet are my favourites - but I would finish the Trilogy now that you are on it.

I didn’t mind Perfidia, but the one after it - the Storm? - got a little too crazy. I likely posted about it on here.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  6. John

John Well-Known Member

Ellroy's memoir/essay-type book, My Dark Places, is really good. Tells you so much about what made him the writer he became.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Ellroy isn't that good after reading a few of his books. Spend your time reading Elmore Leonard.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I love Leonard but gotta say I'm digging Ellroy. A lot. Though it is only a few books; I can believe he might not be the best guy to binge, but so far I'm really enjoying being immersed in his perverse, decadent, dark worlds.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

After a few works on nonfiction, I needed a break for something fun, and knocked this out in a few days. A kid can see dead people, but only (usually) for a short while after they've died, and only at places where the deceased spent quite a bit of time. He's forced to use his power for nefarious purposes. No spoilers. Really enjoyed it, but some of the death descriptions were a bit graphic, so stay away if you're squeamish.

Joe Bob says check it out.

10. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Strong recommend for The Humorless Ladies of Border Control, by Franz Nicolay. It's about his travels through Eastern Europe and Asia as a touring musician, but it's mostly about the punk scenes and the local history. Smart and well-written.

garrow likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For the Beartown fans:

[​IMG]

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I loved Chris Whipple's "The Gatekeepers" about White House chiefs of staff. His latest (out in January) is about the Biden Administration.

Draft saved Draft deleted