1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Demagogue, Larry Tye's bio of Joe McCarthy. Based on newly available archival material it is very strong, much better than his RFK book.

The book paints a chilling and all too familiar portrait of a bygone era with a direct link to recent psychopaths courtesy of Roy Cohn.

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Just read the most recent Bosch/Ballard book by Michael Connelly. Decent read as always, but I think he is making Ballard too much of a rogue/lone wolf type.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got that, haven't read it. But hasn't Bosch always been that way?

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Ballard character is similarly over the top and considering her lack of seniority it comes off as a little much.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Read Marathon, the account of the 1976 presidential campaign by Jules Witcover. Fascinating stuff (for someone who was born in 1970.)

Carter won the nomination by having the brainstorm of actually running in every state primary (instead of ones here or there to show strength.) George Wallace made one last try - remember when it was the Dems who had the racist populist demagogue? And Jim Naughton of the New York Times interviewed President Ford wearing a chicken head borrowed from a local San Diego radio station.

[​IMG]

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Recently Jeff Pearlman did a list of the greatest sports books ever and had A False Spring by Pat Jordan at number one. Not sure I'd go that high, but it is very good.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I have a hardcover copy. Thick enough to be used as a doorstop.

I was particularly intrigued by events leading up to Ford's nomination (against Reagan) in Kansas City.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

IIRC, Naughton managed to get the chicken head through a Times' expense account. Or maybe that's another instance in Crouse's book, not sure.

EDIT: Brain-lock on my part. Crouse's book chronicled 1972, of course.

According to the late James Deakin's 1984 book Straight Stuff, the photograph above was taken at the Portland, Oregon airport. Deakin was a Washington-based reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  9. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm reading Ivan Maisel's book about the death of his son Max. Very powerful, very moving.

Liut likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Yeah, indeed. Read it last month, I can't imagine I'd have the strength to write that.

Liut likes this.
  11. John

John Well-Known Member

I could see doing the writing part, just to get it out, but I don't know that I could share it with the world. One of my best friends growing up killed himself when he was 16, and I had my own issues in my late teens, so this book hit me in a lot of different ways. I hope I see Ivan in Atlanta on Saturday so I can tell him how much it meant to me.

12. Moderator1

Ivan is truly a good dude, haven't seen him in years - probably since my days on a beat. Please give him my regards when you do see him. I keep meaning to send him a note about the book. I sent him a note when all this was going down.

I just cannot imagine.

clintrichardson and John like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted